How to increase your Q score beyond 48...Help !!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi Guys

I am consistently getting Q48 and want to touch the 50 mark.

The source of my Quant study so far has been OG12. But when I first gave GMATPrep, I realized that the questions are much tougher than OG. So can any of you share questions that can help scale to the 50-51 mark.
I particularly fall for hard questions in coordinate geometry, statistics and number properties (DS).

G day in 2 weeks, so would appreciate quick fix suggestions.

Sorry if I have created a new post, admins pls lemme know where to move this !

Thanks !

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by neoreaves » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:05 am
I would suggest hitting the weak areas. Lets think of it as a tennis match. What can you do to improve your score drastically? For that you have to know your weakness.......is it your "backhand" ? ....in this case is it "probability" ? "rate problems" ....which areas take the longest ? ......once you know the weak area bringing your score down ...hit hard on it ....lets say you were scoring 50% in probability questions .....you identify it and work on it ....with 2 or 3 days of practice ..i am sure you will improve and take it to 80% ....thsi is a 30% improvement and will reflect in your final score .....working on a strong area will not help much at this point ...lets say you are scoring 90% on algebra ...the most improvement you can do is maybe 95% and that too would be tough because of the limited number of 700-800 level questions ....so I would say practice your weak areas and hit them hard .....48 to 50 jump will definitely happen

Oh and 1 more thing ....Timing !! ...the questions that eat your time out ...identify those ....even if you get them right, they are eating time of other questions thus they are the sneaky weaknesses ....identify them and improve their timing and that would help you tackle other questions with more time and ease ....

Oh and another thing ....try to FOCUS ....for me i use a Focus box ...it is just a box i make when I am solving the Quant questions to keep my focus on the end result ...lets say the question asked for (x-5) ...by putting this in the focus box when i arrive at my answer of x = 8 ...i will not jump and choose 8 as the answer ....i will go back to the focus box and choose x-5 = 8-5 =3 the right answer ....

I hope this helps .....these are just few of the tricks i use ...hopefully this helps you too :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by yatinbassi » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 am
Thanks neoreaves,

I know that my weak areas are tough DS questions, statistics and number properties and I even know while giving mock tests that I have got these questions wrong.

Yet, OG does not have the level of questions and concepts to strengthen this are.

Can you suggest a source where I can practice these questions? Even in the MGMAT free mock test, I realized that i'm not doing well in 700-800 level questions, so any list of such questions that I can practice on?

I realized verbal is very tricky and scoring >35 is very tough for me. I know that my weakness in that is RC yet i'm unable to improve in that area. CR and SC are fairly okay, yet I get bowled over by tough questions.

G day in 2 weeks, really nervous !!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by neoreaves » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:57 am
Ok first thing is to go deep in your preparation ......I know DS are tricky but as long as you know a particular area really well you will do well in it ....try not focusin on just DS ....think of what type of DS do you get wrong ...is it Number properties ? Inequalities ? ....you have to identify them.... the 700-800 questions are hard to find but nothing is impossible in this world .....due to copyright laws I can not share my collection with anyone but beatthegmat has questions in all areas ...try to search the right topics and areas and you will fine plenty of practice questions here .....ManhattanGMAT online tests are pretty good too ..if you have bought one book of it then just plug in the serial code and get free access to the online tests ....they have some really tough questions .....and the real GMAT has become tougher ...my 2 cents ......