How should I start?

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How should I start?

by Megha0109 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:25 am
Hi All,

I wanted to do MBA and was looking for institutions that take students based on their IELTS score as I feel GMAT is a really tough test to crack. I am an average student and my basics are really weak. Infact I have never cleared any written test in my life. After doing all the research, I realized getting a good university without GMAT is not possible. So, here I am in this forum as I have decided to give a try. But I have no idea how should I start. Can anyone please guide me?

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:04 pm
Megha0109 wrote:Hi All,

I wanted to do MBA and was looking for institutions that take students based on their IELTS score as I feel GMAT is a really tough test to crack. I am an average student and my basics are really weak. Infact I have never cleared any written test in my life. After doing all the research, I realized getting a good university without GMAT is not possible. So, here I am in this forum as I have decided to give a try. But I have no idea how should I start. Can anyone please guide me?

Thanks in advance.
Start by taking a practice test to get a benchmark of where you stand. (The free Veritas practice test can be found at the bottom of this post. The mba.com practice tests can be found here: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/pre ... tware.aspx)

Once you've done that, share details of your results here, and we'll help you put together a study plan.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:47 pm
Hi Megha0109,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]