High School

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

High School

by deepesh.gupta » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:08 pm
The Grade 12 students of High School 101 have performed with incredible consistency over the past five years. During each of those years, boys have obtained marks, on average, of 75 percent in science, and been offered 90 percent of the scholarships offered at the school. The girls have obtained marks, on average, of 70 percent in science, and received the balance of scholarships offered at the school.

Which of the following can be correctly concluded regarding the past five years from the passage above?

A The average marks scored by boys and girls in science have remained fairly consistent.
B The teaching of science at High School 101 has remained unchanged.
C Highly effective science tutorials were attended by more girls than boys at High School 101.
D The girls have received far fewer scholarships than the boys, given their similar scores.
E The boys of High School 101 have faced stiffer competition for scholarships than the girls have encountered.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:23 pm
imo d is the answer

as the percentage of marks of boys and girls are almost same but % of scholarship is diffrent.

boys 75%- scholarship - 90%
girls 70 %- scholarship 10 %

so D fairly give the conclusion of the passage

what is OA

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Phirozz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm
IMO A

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by paes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:32 pm
A
Check with POE.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:23 am
I stuck with A and B

What is OA?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by xyztroy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:21 am
I will also go for D.
A is clearly stated in the first statement that the scores have been consistent. Nothing much to infer here....

Please let us know OA.

by MRehman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:32 am
IMO D... Please post OA..

by pnk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:06 am
The Grade 12 students of High School 101 have performed with incredible consistency over the past five years. During each of those years, boys have obtained marks, on average, of 75 percent in science, and been offered 90 percent of the scholarships offered at the school. The girls have obtained marks, on average, of 70 percent in science, and received the balance of scholarships offered at the school.

Which of the following can be correctly concluded regarding the past five years from the passage above?

A The average marks scored by boys and girls in science have remained fairly consistent: (avg is 75% could mean in some of the years he might have scored much lower than 75% and in rest of years much higher than 75%...so we can't say for sure whether scores are consistent)
B The teaching of science at High School 101 has remained unchanged. (nothing metioned in arg about teaching...so out of scope)
C Highly effective science tutorials were attended by more girls than boys at High School 101. (nothing metioned in arg about tutorials...so out of scope)
D The girls have received far fewer scholarships than the boys, given their similar scores. (POE...this remained) correct
E The boys of High School 101 have faced stiffer competition for scholarships than the girls have encountered. (stiffer competion means, most of boys scroed around 75% ...but nothing of that mentioned....it may be possible that larger number of boys are much lower than 75% and few are higher than 75%....incorrect)

by boazkhan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:54 am
its between D and E...I will go with D.

Legendary Member

by frank1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:07 am
Well if "The girls have obtained marks, on average, of 70 percent in science" is not a gramatical trap then my answer would be D as well....
A B C ...no such info to conclude that
E can be inferred as not true

by deepesh.gupta » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:02 pm
The OA is D

But i think its wrong, because we dont know about the actual number of boys and girls. Consider this:
Total students 100
Total scholarship $100
Number of boys 90 - average marks 75 - scholarship awarded $90
Number of girls 10 - average marks 70 - scholarship awarded $10

In the case above the scholarship received is same in both case.

I would like to have experts views on this.

Thanks.
pnk wrote:The Grade 12 students of High School 101 have performed with incredible consistency over the past five years. During each of those years, boys have obtained marks, on average, of 75 percent in science, and been offered 90 percent of the scholarships offered at the school. The girls have obtained marks, on average, of 70 percent in science, and received the balance of scholarships offered at the school.

A The average marks scored by boys and girls in science have remained fairly consistent: (avg is 75% could mean in some of the years he might have scored much lower than 75% and in rest of years much higher than 75%...so we can't say for sure whether scores are consistent)
B The teaching of science at High School 101 has remained unchanged. (nothing metioned in arg about teaching...so out of scope)
C Highly effective science tutorials were attended by more girls than boys at High School 101. (nothing metioned in arg about tutorials...so out of scope)
D The girls have received far fewer scholarships than the boys, given their similar scores. (POE...this remained) correct
E The boys of High School 101 have faced stiffer competition for scholarships than the girls have encountered. (stiffer competion means, most of boys scroed around 75% ...but nothing of that mentioned....it may be possible that larger number of boys are much lower than 75% and few are higher than 75%....incorrect)

Legendary Member

by frank1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:30 pm
deepesh.gupta wrote:The OA is D

But i think its wrong, because we dont know about the actual number of boys and girls. Consider this:
Total students 100
Total scholarship $100
Number of boys 90 - average marks 75 - scholarship awarded $90
Number of girls 10 - average marks 70 - scholarship awarded $10

In the case above the scholarship received is same in both case.

I would like to have experts views on this.

Thanks.
well i am not an expert as you have asked for
BUT
I think you are going into proportion but author of the question seems to mean numbers(infact even in situation you have created very few girls will be getting scholarship...)...$10 is divided in among those 10...

so D holds

by bichoo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:50 am
I also went with D but i'm not totally convinced either

GMAT Score:690

by pkw209 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:28 pm
I think it's clearly D.

Total number of students doesn't matter. I think you're making it more complicated than it actually is.

If boys receive 90% and girls receive 10% of the scholarships then, regardless of how many boys and girls, girls have received far fewer scholarships considering that their scores are relatively similar.

by bleedthegmat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:27 am
deepesh.gupta wrote:The Grade 12 students of High School 101 have performed with incredible consistency over the past five years. During each of those years, boys have obtained marks, on average, of 75 percent in science, and been offered 90 percent of the scholarships offered at the school. The girls have obtained marks, on average, of 70 percent in science, and received the balance of scholarships offered at the school.

A The average marks scored by boys and girls in science have remained fairly consistent.
B The teaching of science at High School 101 has remained unchanged.
C Highly effective science tutorials were attended by more girls than boys at High School 101.
D The girls have received far fewer scholarships than the boys, given their similar scores.
E The boys of High School 101 have faced stiffer competition for scholarships than the girls have encountered.
IMO A