HELP-VERBAL (non-native english speaker)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

HELP-VERBAL (non-native english speaker)

by p750 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:34 am
Hi
I have engineering backgroud with 10+ years work experience.
I feel difficulty with verbal section of GMAT.I attended kaplan's advanced anywhere sessions and got good understanding of what skills will be tested under verbal section.However i am still not confident in answering verbal questions, some times still relying on gussing(and leaving to my luck).May i reuest your help by suggesting some "MUST to read" type material for a candidate like me to gain confidence in verbal section.
Appreciate your help.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ADN1988 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:29 am
If anyone could answer it would be great as im a non native speaker too.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:21 am
For SC: You can use MGMAT SC, which is very detailed and a very good guide and you can supplement it with Aristotle SC, which is very compact and less in details or explanation of grammar concepts. If you have trouble with basics of grammar then you should look out any grammar book to learn for concepts and then come for GMAT preparation.

For CR: Powerscore CR is a must if you are not able to identify the question types or if you have trouble breaking down the argument. You can use this book to identify question types and they have segregated answer patterns as well. Relying too much on answer patterns will be detrimental to your preparation as you will start looking for segregating answer choices rather than reasoning. MGMAT CR is good for most asked question types in GMAT. The diagramming techniques are all very helpful if you put to use.

For RC: You have to find your own strategy. First try out different strategies and find the one with which you gain more accuracy then practice it efficiently till you improve your timing. Try thursday's with ron videos available on the net. His approaches are very good and effective. But it depends on you - the right strategy which will work out.

For entire verbal section try to learn eliminating answer choices instead of finding the right ones. You should learn why the wrong answers are wrong and right answers are right. Additionally try taking notes which will help you keep engaged as you will be tired after 2.5 hours of exam and maintaining stamina and concentration is the key problem most of us face while answering the verbal part. The better you perform the worse the questions and passages will be in complexity so taking notes is one good strategy to avoid fatigue. Hope this helps !!!
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:20 members
GMAT Score:730

by penguinfoot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:53 am
And sam2304 comes to the rescue. How do you do it all the time ?
:shock:

@ P750 & ADN1988,
Sam had detailed you all the *Must to Read* type material. Go through it and you should be fine.
Additionally - If you are facing difficulty in figuring out what different parts of a sentence are and are interested in identifying them for better understanding, follow this link :
https://www.arts.uottawa.ca/writcent/hypergrammar/
The above link can build up the basics for grammar. If you can finish this material on your own, then go ahead to Manhattan GMAT material, else you should try some other approach. Try reading through the provided course first, the let me know ur feedback.

HTH!
Penguinfoot
"Hakunamatata" - No Worries.
Alma Mater: Indian School of Business, Hyderabad
Like my Post ? You can thank me now!

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:32 pm

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by p750 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm
Thank You all for your suggestions !!!