710 Gmatprep but 540 in official GMAT (in just 1 week)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Just brief intro: I am from pune, India. Qualifications: Mech Engg from Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee+ 3 yrs exp in an Automotive firm, India.

I gave my official GMAT on Oct 21st 2011 in Pune, India. I was so shocked to see score of 540(Q46, V20).
It may happen so if you are a beginner or you did not do enough Gmat materials. However, it is not the case. I started my Prep in Jan 2011.
I studied regularly for about 2 hours daily. These are the books I have finished studying so far.
1)Mgmat SC 4th Ed(3 times)
2)Powerscore CR bible
3)Kaplan Premium
4)Quant 700-800 questions
5)OG12
6)Verbal review
7)Kaplan 800

As I am an IIT student, I never had any serious problem with Gmat Quant. I improved myself gradually. I got 510 in gmatprep in January when I did not even know A,b,c,d of Gmat.I used to score in the range of 600 in the month of May. I reached 700 mark in September.
These were my scores in various exams just before 1 month of Gmat exam.
Gmat Prep: 710(q49, V38), 650(Q49, V30)
Mgmat: 640(q48, v32), 670(q49, v34)
800Score Gmat: 680(Q44, v38), 730(q49, v40)

I am so clueless on what went wrong on actual exam day. I had good sleep on that night. I did not panic. It just appeared to me as if I was writing just another GmatPrep exam.
I could finish quant 2 mins.
In verbal, I reached upto 31st question. I marked all questions D for the later questions. But I solved and marked SC ones in last 10 of verbal questions.
It was not abnormal. I did the same on my GmatPrep exams. But still verbal gave me above 30 points just because I had very less wrong answers(upto 5) in first 30 questions. There were more of SC ones in first 30 verbal questions. They were all easy. But not even 1 idiom question was there (I crammed 100 odd idioms madly before the change took place in verbal SC)

After wring writing the test, before clicking to view scores, I was confident to see at least 650(Q49,V30) ro even more closer to 700. I was so shocked and could not believe the screen showing 540(Q46,V20).I used to get this score when I started my prep in Jan. I have improved my self so much. I wrote more than 20 tests so far. I never got such a bad score in any exam.

It not only happened with me. My friend who gave on the same day(Oct 21st) same time in Blore got 540(q41, v24) too. She consistently scored 680 or 670 in Gmatprep exams recently. She gave her official Gmat in August and got 600. She prepared so much (worked about 8 hours a day) during next two months. Even She was expecting to see a 660 when she clicked to view scores. But she also got 540(q41, v24).

We are so clueless on how did it happen? What went wrong in the exam. Everything looked so perfect while writing the test but eventually got poorest score what you can think of on any day.
We are so disappointed on this. My question to all is Are there any ones who gave exam on October 21st 2011 and suffered like us?
Can it happen this way?on one day if most 750 gmatprep scorers give their official exam, a 650 gmatprep scorer gets 550 in official exam?
On other day if most 550 gmatprep scorers give their official exam, a 650 gmatprep scorer gets 750 in official exam?
How does the scoring algo works on any particular day?
We both are so confident that you ask us to give any practice exam available today, we will score 650 or above. That's what our Prep history is.

Had I not experienced this weird scenario, I would have never believed a guy saying I got 710 in gmatprep but got 540 in official gmat. My answer would have been to that guy simply- You must have screwed your exam mate; Otherwise it's just not possible.
But the fact is- I did not screw my exam; In fact exam screwed me
I can believe it just because I experienced it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:23 am
i received a private message regarding this thread.
satishchandra wrote: 1)Mgmat SC 4th Ed(3 times)
2)Powerscore CR bible
3)Kaplan Premium
4)Quant 700-800 questions
5)OG12
6)Verbal review
7)Kaplan 800
that's a LOT of books. if you used that many books, then you are probably studying by just trying to memorize lots and lots of things; that approach will not work. in fact, the entire purpose of the gmat, especially the verbal section, is to be impossible to master via memorization.

As I am an IIT student, I never had any serious problem with Gmat Quant. I improved myself gradually. I got 510 in gmatprep in January when I did not even know A,b,c,d of Gmat.I used to score in the range of 600 in the month of May. I reached 700 mark in September.
ok, so this is 3 gmat prep scores so far. there are only two distinct exams in the software, so it's already guaranteed that these later scores are repeated administrations of the exam. furthermore, the wording of this statement strongly suggests that you took gmat prep more than 3 times.

as i hope you are aware, repeated scores are going to be inflated, and are pretty much meaningless.
In verbal, I reached upto 31st question. I marked all questions D for the later questions.
...so you were forced to make random guesses on the last 10 out of 41 problems (!!)
that is a huge quantity of random guesses -- a quantity so large that it may explain most of your score discrepancy by itself. that's one-fourth of the entire verbal section!
I used to get this score when I started my prep in Jan. I have improved my self so much. I wrote more than 20 tests so far.
actually, the fact that you've done 20 practice tests is not a good thing -- it's a bad thing. after this much over-studying, it's a virtual certainty that you were in a worse situation regarding CR/RC than before you even cracked a gmat book for the first time.
for more on this, read near the bottom of this post:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-to-impro ... tml#405217

It not only happened with me. My friend who gave on the same day(Oct 21st) same time in Blore got 540(q41, v24) too. She consistently scored 680 or 670 in Gmatprep exams recently. She gave her official Gmat in August and got 600. She prepared so much (worked about 8 hours a day) during next two months. Even She was expecting to see a 660 when she clicked to view scores. But she also got 540(q41, v24).
if someone is preparing for 8 hours a day, there is a 100% chance that he or she is preparing in a way that will be completely ineffective and most likely harmful. in fact, every student i've known who has studied that many hours has made negative progress on verbal (i.e., scored lower on the official test than on any of their practice tests).
read the above link again; the reasons are in there, and they should make sense.
We are so clueless on how did it happen? What went wrong in the exam. Everything looked so perfect while writing the test but eventually got poorest score what you can think of on any day.
well, as i said above, the sheer quantity of materials you've cited makes it pretty obvious that your primary mechanism of studying is memorization, memorization, and more memorization -- if you are studying had a more conceptual basis, there is no way you would have used that many materials.

fun fact: if you study primarily by memorization, your practice test scores will be inflated, and you WILL score lower on the official test than on your practice tests.
the reason is pretty simple: the existing materials, including practice books and practice tests, are based on official problems that have already been published -- i.e., exactly the same problems that appear in the official guides and in gmat prep. therefore, when you take gmat prep after having studied these materials so extensively, the problems are going to look strangely familiar, because they are the problems on which the prep materials are based in the first place!

if your studying has a conceptual basis (i.e., you are actually trying to understand the mentality and strategy behind the problems, and not trying to memorize "rules"), then seeing new problems on the official test will not be an issue; the underlying mentality and strategy behind those problems will be the same.
however, if your studying is based on memorization, then you are going to crash and burn on the official test -- because the problems, while still fundamentally working in the same general way, won't contain any of the exact same structures, arguments, etc. in this case, even the slightest change from what you've memorized will throw you off, and so you will underperform on the official test.
Can it happen this way?on one day if most 750 gmatprep scorers give their official exam, a 650 gmatprep scorer gets 550 in official exam?
no.
On other day if most 550 gmatprep scorers give their official exam, a 650 gmatprep scorer gets 750 in official exam?
no.
How does the scoring algo works on any particular day?
it works in exactly the same way it works on any other day.
the only thing that might change at all is the percentiles -- and those are going to change very, very, very slowly, because they are based on the last five years' worth of results. the way in which the algorithm generates numerical scores is always exactly the same.
We both are so confident that you ask us to give any practice exam available today, we will score 650 or above. That's what our Prep history is.
see above re: inflated practice-test scores.
But the fact is- I did not screw my exam; In fact exam screwed me
I can believe it just because I experienced it.
i'm sorry, but anecdotal evidence is not evidence. if you want anecdotal evidence on the other side of the equation, i have a private student who just recently took the exam and scored 710, even though none of his practice-test scores had ever been higher than 660.

what bothers me most about this post -- and, in fact, the primary reason why i'm responding to it -- is that there is absolutely no consideration of the fact that you may have been studying the wrong way! you've explored a bunch of other hypotheses, including the rather farfetched idea that the scoring algorithm changes drastically on a daily basis, but you haven't given even a thought to the notion that your preparation may have been misguided.
this attitude is problematic in general (it's impossible to improve at anything if you blame all of your failures on outside sources), but it's especially problematic for anyone who aspires to be a business manager. in business, there are no "hard rules"; if you manage a business and it is failing, you have to look introspectively at the situation and find out what you are doing wrong. what if you've read eight different business books and memorized all their contents, and your business is still not making a profit? ... well, you still have to look introspectively at the situation and find out what you are doing incorrectly.

this post also betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of what the gmat is all about.
this test is NOT a test on which people can achieve top scores by simply "cramming" for an incredible number of hours over an incredibly long period of time. if it were that kind of test, it would be absolutely useless for its intended purpose!
here are a couple of posts i've written, in which i give some insights into what this test actually is. you should read them, consider the ways in which they clash with your (and your friend's) study strategy, and think about making the appropriate changes.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-score-6 ... tml#415768

https://www.beatthegmat.com/what-is-reco ... tml#416810

good luck.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:26 am
Ron, thanks so much for very insightful feedback on the previous post.
Success doesn't come overnight!

by satishchandra » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:33 am
lunarpower wrote:
ok, so this is 3 gmat prep scores so far. there are only two distinct exams in the software, so it's already guaranteed that these later scores are repeated administrations of the exam. furthermore, the wording of this statement strongly suggests that you took gmat prep more than 3 times.

as i hope you are aware, repeated scores are going to be inflated, and are pretty much meaningless.
Hi Ron,
First, thank you very much for patiently reading and answering all my questions.
It is really good to know that scores on any particular day are based on how well students give the exam not on that particular day but in five previous years.

I do not know whether my post conveys that I rewrote 20 tests again and again and I crammed just concepts but not practised questions.
The only repeted tests i took were Gmat Preps. I did get 3 or 4 repetitive questions in my 3rd and 4th and 5th tests. But I did not know answers to those questions by then. I did committ same mistake in repetitive questions. I reviewed all my mistakes in the end by taking snapshots of all questionswhich i got wrong. These are the tests I took so far.
MGMAT 6 tests
GmatPrep 5 tests
Powerprep 2 tests
800scoregmat 5 tests
VaritasPrep free test
Kaplan 2 tests

I also read your posts on how to treat CR questions n stuff. I completely agree with you. I dont depend on the rules for CR. I read the argument critically to point out the flaws in it. Normally the question(strengthen/weaken) would be on the flaws I notice. I have 80-90% accuracy in CR with avg time of 2.8 mins. However, I have big notes for SC. I follow the rules for SC. Again I dont have any text book method of solving for RC. I do it intuitively.

I do spend more time for CR and RC questions especially if they are written with tough words/ tough sentence formations. I always managed to do only upto 32nd or 33rd question in verbal effectively.
If i skip the ones(5 or 6) i feel tough/time taking, I can see all 41 questions through.
All scoring algorithms(gmatprep, Mgmat) did not give me low score(less than 30) even though I guessed those 7 or 8 verbal questions. But official test was not same.

I decided to blame myself. I am the one who is completely responsible for the debacle.

I have to improve myself in managing timing well for all 41 questions. I can't be randomly marking the answers in a row.
I have to minimise my CR/RC time taking.

I will give Kaplan free diagnostic test, which I never attempted, this thursday and see whether I repeat 540 in it too :)

Thanks a lot Ron once again,
It was truly inspiring.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 pm
satish, it appears you have a more accurate view of the test now; that's a good thing.

two comments:
satishchandra wrote:It is really good to know that scores on any particular day are based on how well students give the exam not on that particular day but in five previous years.
the numerical scores don't change through time at all. if a performance would have earned a 680 on the day this test format was first introduced, it would still get a 680 today.

the percentiles, however, are based on the last 5 years' worth of performances.
I have big notes for SC.
sentence correction is largely an exercise in setting priorities.
the bad news: if "big notes" means that you have hundreds of pages of notes and are actually expecting to look for all of these things on test day, then that's not realistic.
the good news: there are not very many major topics in sentence correction. if you can fully master the following topics -- as in "recognize them with very close to 100% accuracy, very close to 100% of the time" -- then you will be in very good shape for sentence correction:
meaning of the sentence
parallelism
pronouns
modifier placement
subject-verb agreement
if you have not fully mastered these concepts, do not study anything else until you have. a thorough mastery of these concepts is worth more than a knowledge of literally everything else on sentence correction, combined.

good luck.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by satishchandra » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:47 am
First, I could not believe that Ron replied my post twice.
lunarpower wrote: the numerical scores don't change through time at all. if a performance would have earned a 680 on the day this test format was first introduced, it would still get a 680 today.

This clarifies completely that scores never change but percentiles might. Thank you.
I have big notes for SC.
lunarpower wrote:sentence correction is largely an exercise in setting priorities.
the bad news: if "big notes" means that you have hundreds of pages of notes and are actually expecting to look for all of these things on test day, then that's not realistic.
'big notes' does not mean its big in size or big in no. of pages. I guess nothing can be as big as MGMAT SC 4th Edition. It's a great book. However, there are certain type of questions in OG12 SC for which I could not find enough information to pick right answers and eliminate wrong ones. I searched in Mgmat forums for those questions. Thankfully, many students have already posted them in Mgmat forums and you answered them all so explicitly. I felt for some questions, whatever take away note mentioned by you is not mentioned in Mgmat SC so explicitly. I copied all such points from your posts for those questions and pasted in MS word. It acts as an additional material for me. My SC notes is not more than 12 pages. 100 important idioms are also included in it. It does not take more than 4 hrs to turn all pages of Mgmat SC 4th Edition for me and revise fully as I have already spent enough time in memorizing all the rules. Reading my SC notes will also give the extra spark for me.

I have cracked a few toughest competitive exams in India. I have already done enough preparation for Gmat. But I gave practice tests with a wrong strategy by solving only upto 31 questions efficiently and guessing the rest. I am still clueless on why I got 46 in quant :0. Anyways I figure it too. I am definitely not a 540 material. I have almost decided a date in 1st week of Jan by sacrificing 31st celebrations. But I wont overstudy. I will post my scores here after my re-take.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Will416 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:26 am
I know how you feel my friend, i just wrote on saturday and was shocked to see a 560 (Q36/V31) when all was said and done. i was scoring in the 620-650 range with all 6 manhattan tests and GMAT prep. I wrote a 590 (Q34 V 38) earlier in the summer and thought this would be easily improved upon. pretty devestating too see that score especially as i felt quite confident throughout the exam. I think i may have overstudied as well as i used many of the same books you did and some others. Good luck on your next try, i think i may sit on my 590 score as i have a chance to sneak into some mid level canadian programs with it.

by satishchandra » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:38 pm
Will416 wrote:I know how you feel my friend, i just wrote on saturday and was shocked to see a 560 (Q36/V31) when all was said and done. i was scoring in the 620-650 range with all 6 manhattan tests and GMAT prep. I wrote a 590 (Q34 V 38) earlier in the summer and thought this would be easily improved upon.

Really sad to know what happened with you mate. A few of my friends who gave the exam in October have similar experience as you and I had. That's why I had to raise questions on scoring algo and relative scores. But Ron clarified as under
lunarpower wrote:the numerical scores don't change through time at all. if a performance would have earned a 680 on the day this test format was first introduced, it would still get a 680 today.

So there have to be other reasons for our scores.
Will416 wrote:i think i may sit on my 590 score as i have a chance to sneak into some mid level canadian programs with it.
I wish you all the luck in your apps. Do Keep us posted about your progress.

Followed by:1 members

by rohit_gmat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:54 am
Hi Satish....

dude.. u r smart.. but im guessing, maybe you went the wrong way with your prep...

the thing abt self study is, there is no one to analyse what you are doing wrong and point out on your critical mistakes.. and esp on the GMAT exam, you don't know what triggered your score goin up or down... at times when i do Qs i feel like i've understood them and I got them right, but the fact is that i usually miss out on smth which leads me to trap answers.. so the problem isnt in my knowledge, its in my strategy on approaching such Qs...

you've pretty much exhausted all the possible GMAT resources... If i were you, i wud take some time out... relax, and return to ur usual life... and after a couple of months, try n enroll into a good training course in india (i wud not recommend Princeton)... learn all the tips n tricks.. and train/control your smart brain to use those tricks...

Improve ur vebal skills... its very very very important.. i read on a few posts where individual analysts concluded tht in the final score, the verbal counts more... use MGMAT for verbal, their books are AWESOME.... you'll be amazed at the way your score shoots up once you get the hang of the verbal part...

dun give up :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ranjeet2756 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:16 pm
satishchandra wrote: I am definitely not a 540 material. I have almost decided a date in 1st week of Jan by sacrificing 31st celebrations. But I wont overstudy. I will post my scores here after my re-take.

When are you taking the test again ?? Please do post your updated scores here.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ngalinh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 am
Thanks Satishchandra! Your story is a really good "case study".

Good luck with your GMAT!