Help Required: Have given GMAT 4 times

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help Required: Have given GMAT 4 times

by amit_07 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Hi All

This is to request you all to pour in some advice for me. I have given GMAT four times and following are my scores

580(didn't quite prepare here)

The last one I took today and was totally disheartened to see a 640. I am at my wits end to figure out ways to improve the same.For all the four attempts my Quant score has remained 49 but the verbal score is fluctuating.

Please advise as I plan to give it one more time. Also, have read that most schools take the highest score , will my 5 attempts be a hindrance?

Thanks
Amit

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by RumpelThickSkin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:24 pm
amit,

680 is your best score and trust me it's a good one! Pay attention to your essays and overall application now. If I were you I wouldn't bother worrying about the GMAT anymore.

Best,
RTS

by amit_07 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:31 pm
Thanks RTS for the reply.Actually I applied with this last year to ISB but got rejected in the interview.The feedback they provided said that as my average acads coupled with average Gmat were a hindrance .Thus my 4th attemp today.

I am just a not confused about the way forward from here.Let me know your thoughts.I am only targeting top schools but sumhow with such string of scores I am not sure if my target is realistic.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:36 pm
Perhaps you might want to consider hiring a private tutor, or try something really different in terms of study methods. At this point (5th try), I think you should try something drastically different.
Yep.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by RumpelThickSkin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:19 pm
amit_07 wrote:Thanks RTS for the reply.Actually I applied with this last year to ISB but got rejected in the interview.The feedback they provided said that as my average acads coupled with average Gmat were a hindrance .Thus my 4th attemp today.

I am just a not confused about the way forward from here.Let me know your thoughts.I am only targeting top schools but sumhow with such string of scores I am not sure if my target is realistic.
That what just my opinion, Amit and I stand by it. ISB is notorious for having a uber high GMAT average - one of if not the highest in the world ... many other great schools out there !

by amit_07 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:07 am
Hey RTS...Yup ..I understand and respect the same..am thinking along various options..just wanted to know..if I get a 720+ in my 5th attempt...then would it be taken as an improvement...?...does giving multiple times hamper?