help me out, problem with asssumption.

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

help me out, problem with asssumption.

by tanviet » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 am
this is a question from 15 testset and so an official question.

For most people, the left half of the brain controls linguistic capabilities, but some people have their language centers in the right half. When a language center of the brain is damaged, for example by a stroke, linguistic capabilities are impaired in some way. Therefor, people who have suffered a serious stroke on the left side of the brain without suffering any such impairment must have their language centers in the right half.

which of the following is an assumption on which the reasoning in the argument above depends.

a, no part of a person's brain that is damaged by a stoke ever recovers

b,impairment of linguistic capabilites dose not occur in people who have not suffered any damage to any language center of the brain

c stroketend to impair linguistic capabilities more severely than dose any other cause of damage to language centers in the brain

d, if there are language centers on the left side of the brain , any serious stroke affecting that side of the brain damages at least one of them

e, it is impossible to determine which side of the brain contains a person's language centers if the person has not suffered damage to either side of the brain

D is correct answer.it is clear

I wish you help with A

if we have a, then no part of brain can recover and language centers can not recover and this supposrt conclusion and is right .PLEASE, EXPLAIN THIS POINT

of course, if we negate A we can destroy A

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: help me out, problem with asssumption.

by umaa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:54 am
duongthang wrote:this is a question from 15 testset and so an official question.

For most people, the left half of the brain controls linguistic capabilities, but some people have their language centers in the right half. When a language center of the brain is damaged, for example by a stroke, linguistic capabilities are impaired in some way. Therefor, people who have suffered a serious stroke on the left side of the brain without suffering any such impairment must have their language centers in the right half.

which of the following is an assumption on which the reasoning in the argument above depends.

a, no part of a person's brain that is damaged by a stoke ever recovers

b,impairment of linguistic capabilites dose not occur in people who have not suffered any damage to any language center of the brain

c stroketend to impair linguistic capabilities more severely than dose any other cause of damage to language centers in the brain

d, if there are language centers on the left side of the brain , any serious stroke affecting that side of the brain damages at least one of them

e, it is impossible to determine which side of the brain contains a person's language centers if the person has not suffered damage to either side of the brain

D is correct answer.it is clear

I wish you help with A

if we have a, then no part of brain can recover and language centers can not recover and this supposrt conclusion and is right .PLEASE, EXPLAIN THIS POINT

of course, if we negate A we can destroy A
I'd choose D.

A is wrong. Because, we're not talking about recovery. Also, negate it and see. "Some part in brain recovers from stroke". It doesn't affect the conclusion in any way. We're talking about stroke affecting the linguistic centers of the brain. But A is too far to assume. It talks about recovery.
What we think, we become

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:31 am
Option D is pretty clear assumption

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:11 pm
thank all of you very much. it is clear D is correct

what I need your help is that

if I look A from different point

If A is correct, language center can not recover. This help support conclusion and A is right.

pls, help me out of this thing

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:34 am
A strenthen conclusion. A is not an assumption

is that right?

help pls.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by kris77 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:27 pm
I still feel A should be the answer.