Help me crack this one!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Help me crack this one!!!!!!!!!!!!

by ceeka9388 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:13 pm
Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sheep, though essentially easy prey for wolves, are not usually attacked by them. In Hylantia prior to 1910, farmers nevertheless lost considerable numbers of sheep to wolves each year. Attributing this to the large number for wolves, in 1910 the government began offering rewards to hunters for killing wolves. From 1910 to 1915, large numbers of wolves were killed. Yet wolf attacks on sheep increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the increase in wolf attacks on sheep?

A.Populations of deer and other wild animals that wolves typically prey on increased significantly in numbers from 1910 to 1915.

B.Prior to 1910, there were no legal restrictions in Hylantia on the hunting of wolves.

C.After 1910 hunters shot and wounded a substantial number of wolves, thereby greatly diminishing these wolves' ability to prey on wild animals.

D.Domestic sheep are significantly less able than most wild animals to defend themselves against wolf attacks.

E. The systematic hunting of wolves encouraged by the program drove many wolves in Hylantia to migrate to remote mountain areas uninhabited by humans.

I think the option is 'D'.If you differ kindly explain it...
Cheers,
CKA

Plz press the "Thank" button if this was useful to you

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:23 pm
Hi,
I think the option is C.
From the passage, it is claimed that wolves dont attack domestic sheep. The reason wolves were attacking is because of their existence in large numbers. But even after reducing the large number of wolves, attacks increased. We need an explanation for this discrepancy.

Answer choice D says that domestic sheep are weak. If that's the case, then it weakens the first sentence in the stimulus i.e. "Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sheep, though essentially easy prey for wolves, are not usually attacked by them."

Answer choice C explains why sheep are forced to attack domestic wolves. If the hunting injured many and they were unable to prey on wild animals, it means they had to look for other means. This forced them to target domestic sheep (even though they dont generally attack domestic ones.)
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by ceeka9388 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:27 pm
Thanks for that reply!!!!!!!!!that sounds like a good explanation!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
CKA

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:07 pm
Is the OA C then?
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shrivast » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:42 pm
C sounds correct.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:16 pm
IMO C
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by ceeka9388 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:54 pm
The OA is C
Cheers,
CKA