Hello

Welcome to the Beat The GMAT community! Tell us about yourself
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Hello

by RyzinEnagy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:10 pm
Hey, this is Elving from New York City. I'm currently a senior undergrad where I'm majoring in Aviation Management. The plan right now is to work either for an airline or for the FAA after graduating, preferably in the finance sector as I'm good at math (but at this point it doesn't matter much to me), and hopefully get into a good b-school down the line to move up in the airlines.

I currently have a GPA of about 3. This is skewed by my first year and a half of college where I had way too much fun and nearly got kicked out. I'd like to think I've grown up since then. I've been on the Dean's List every semester since then, including a 3.93 the last two semesters. If I can keep up that sort of pace my last two semesters in college I can bump it up to about a 3.2 or so. I have gotten A's (or close to it) in most of my quantitative/conceptual subjects including Calculus I (I got a C in Calc II...maybe I'll look into retaking it at some point after graduating), Statistics, macro and micro economics, and core management classes. I have also worked full-time (35 hours a week) for the last year as a necessity since my mother and me are the two breadwinners in the house, which doesn't allow for an extracurricular life in college, not that I was doing much of that before I started working. I want to volunteer somewhere after I graduate with my Bachelor's in December.

As far as the GMAT goes, I'm trying to decide when is the best time to take it. My two tentative choices are August, when I have the whole summer to prepare, or sometime next February or March after I have graduated. I'm leaning towards August but I don't know if that will turn out to be too early by the time I apply for B-school since they are valid for five years. Some advice would be helpful and appreciated. My only experience with it was some sample thingy I found off of Google that projected my quant raw score to be 46 if I kept that pace through the section. My SAT scores, four years ago, were 700 for math and 650 for verbal, if that matters at all. I really am shooting for a GMAT of between 700-750.

That's it for now. Thanks for your interest, and thanks to this forum for existing...seriously.