Have better articles

Have suggestions to improve this community?
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Have better articles

by gmatusa2010 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:47 pm
The ridiculous influx of articles that pretty much repeat things is useless. Articles should be vet for quality and original thoughts/ideas. I welcome new approach and different ways to look at problems but 90% of this stuff is fluff and repetitive. This is incredibly anti-productive especially for newbie who has to wade through this and who do not have perspective. This is just advertising real estate land grab. I'm sorry to be blunt but we should not have to be inundated with this. More specifically, articles with catchy headline topic that add zero substance. If experts are going to write an article, either 1) cover an actual subject (such as how to deal with boldface problem not something broad like "How to solve Gmatprep CR" then proceed to repeat what everyone already know) 2) break down an actual problem. Please no more fluff and especially no more editorial advertising. This forum used to be really good but now I think it got diluted with these articles. Just my humble opinion.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience of a newbie. I get sucked into an article then waste 5-10 minute reading advertising rather than learning.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:10 pm
Hi gmatusa2010,

Really sorry to hear this, but very much appreciate the honest feedback. A follow-up question for you: can you suggest a few more specific article ideas you'd like for us to write? I just want to make sure I'm crystal clear on the kinds of topics/information you're seeking, which I can then pass along as feedback to our writers.

Thanks again,

Eric
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by gmatusa2010 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:37 pm
I'm ignorant so I don't know what I don't know but I know that the quality of articles is no where as good as before and maybe not be as good as some of the stickies. My proposal is to not treat all articles the same. Just because it is the most recent doesn't mean it should be at the top or have the highest visibility. Articles should be vetted by people like yourself or have some kind of voting system where it moves up the visibility spectrum with more votes. There are some really really good post and articles that is drowned out. I would go as far as to implement a system whereby the author and his/her prep company's name is not revealed until it garners enough vote. Bring a meritocracy system to articles and eliminate the collective social waste that is people, namely new people, vetting less than informative articles.

I'm not specifically looking for any topic just a comment on the direction the articles have taken. I think with a few tweaks in policies the site can really be helpful to people.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:48 pm
Awesome, thanks very much for that follow up. This is really useful feedback. I'll pass along this feedback to our writers, and with regard to the great info being 'drowned out'--I'm really pleased to let you know that we're working on this, and we'll be releasing a FANTASTIC solution to this soon. :)

Thanks again for the honesty.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school