Harvard MBA HBS 2+2

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by daedalus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:48 pm
Well in that case, Monday cannot come any sooner...

My guess is that >75% of the invitations will be sent by August 4th. Then again that's based entirely off of pure speculation. Good luck to those lucky people who hear Monday.

I was also wondering what do you think the numbers look like post interview. It seems like the paper cut will be the most severe. If they're going to haul you out for an interview it seems like they probably will take at least 40-50% of those interviewed....

this mon 28 july news sounds very comforting, and i wish i could call myself and check it out. i think peace of mind would make spending maybe 1 a minute worth it. maybe im a bit ahead of myself but has anyone heard what "defray" the costs means really? because that would probably cost the school a lot, as with international applicants and people even just working/studying abroad. and do you think they'd pay for tickets before the fact or just do reimbursements. because in the regular business school process they don't pay for expenses,right, because they do hub and phone interviews? and does "defray" the costs mean just a portion <50 or most of it? speculation speculation but these are important considerations especially if they are at all serious when they claim admissions is 'need blind' this is one part of the application that could be a significant financial burden for a lot of students especially if the interview invites are released so close to the dates of travel.

i was also wondering you know how some consulting companies etc. may be willing to finance part of the bschool costs for their rising stars? would this program you think encourage their sponsors to help pay or would it give them a kind of lock on the fact you are going anyway and then they wouldn't even extend an offer for any sort of financial help? again getting ahead of oneself...but id be interested in any thoughts...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by scarter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:51 am
If you display the need, Harvard possesses the capability to subsidize your trip. Best of luck to all--

by BCGuy05 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:28 am
daedalus, that would seem about right. the acceptance rate fromtheir regular HBS interviews is over 50% I believe.

by TheFavorite125 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
I just stumbled upon this today after waiting anxiously since submitting my application! This is a completely nerve-racking process, especially since I simply stumbled across the program because boredom led me to start looking for mba programs.

I have no idea really if I'm what they're looking for but my rationale the whole time has been very similar to what I'm sure many of yours have been: that they don't know what they're looking for either. I am female - which I suppose is something that I have going for me. I complicate things, however, in other respects in that I was a musical theatre major for my first two years before deciding to add a marketing major (clearly business) to the plan my junior year. Therefore- no, I'm not exactly someone who has devoted their whole academic career to being a business major, and my other major is far from conventional when it comes to prospective mba students - but I truly don't know if the fact that I now have a declared business major will count me out of eligibility entirely.

However, nothing ventured, nothing gained - so I suppose I will just have to wait and see like everyone else. My GMAT score was strong - not as high as I would have liked, but strong and should be bolstered by high gpa and high leadership involvement in a variety of areas. It's such a complicated process - mostly emotionally for me because I hate the unknown - but it has been very interesting nonetheless.

interview dates

by dreamingpraying » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:56 pm
i don't know where the 28 july person got his info as i called the office and the secretary said they'd be sending invites a week before the interview date. but she seemed somewhat grouchy though. is there anyway someone else can call and figure out what's up?? whatever the case it does seem they have a set date in mind for sending out all the invites it boggles my mind why they wouldn't inform applicants of it beforehand. i sure hope the 1 week before thing isn't true because i think that'd be an absolute travesty and insensitive to international students' needs.

GMAT Score:710

by daedalus » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:48 pm
Yeah, well being from Harvard definitely gives them a sense of entitlement. It's almost like they're saying well if you don't like it why don't you go to some other undergraduate guaranteed admissions program? oh what's that there isn't any? how about you wait your turn then.

P.S. just read Michael Lewis' Liar's Poker and I definitely recommend it to everyone.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Re: interviews and int/int. inclined students

by smkrn » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:57 pm
dreamingpraying wrote:this mon 28 july news sounds very comforting, and i wish i could call myself and check it out. i think peace of mind would make spending maybe 1 a minute worth it. maybe im a bit ahead of myself but has anyone heard what "defray" the costs means really? because that would probably cost the school a lot, as with international applicants and people even just working/studying abroad. and do you think they'd pay for tickets before the fact or just do reimbursements. because in the regular business school process they don't pay for expenses,right, because they do hub and phone interviews? and does "defray" the costs mean just a portion <50 or most of it? speculation speculation but these are important considerations especially if they are at all serious when they claim admissions is 'need blind' this is one part of the application that could be a significant financial burden for a lot of students especially if the interview invites are released so close to the dates of travel.
I don't think anyone knows at this point how it will work.

dreamingpraying wrote: i was also wondering you know how some consulting companies etc. may be willing to finance part of the bschool costs for their rising stars? would this program you think encourage their sponsors to help pay or would it give them a kind of lock on the fact you are going anyway and then they wouldn't even extend an offer for any sort of financial help? again getting ahead of oneself...but id be interested in any thoughts...
I wouldn't count on this...at all.

by apexyanks » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:49 am
not to go back to the discussion of the possible profile of the 2+2 class ( i just stumbled across this forum yesterday and i find it very interesting), but what about minority students getting in? there's been a lot of talk about males vs. females, but what about blacks, latinos, asians, etc. i'm sure the school is looking to fill some quotas in those demographics as well, as american minorities (however they define that) make up roughly 25% of an average class.

and i think this monday is a little too soon for invites to go out. maybe they'll start with a few people, but i imagine that invites will continue to be sent until about august 6th (two weeks before aug 18th).

the only other thing i wanted to say is that i dont think that many people actually applied. despite our long discussion on this website, the feeling i've been getting from many people i know who were going to submit applications is that it became too much with school, work, etc. i'm thinking eay less than 1,000 total applicants, with the possibility that there were even more international applications than american ones. the only reason i was really able to complete it was because i was studying abroad for 6 months and had the time.

by scarter » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:31 pm
If the interviews are sent, best of luck to everyone today!

by mkb » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:45 pm
actually, i would bet that more than 1000 people applied. college classes usually end in early may, so even if applying would be too much with schoolwork, 6-7 weeks is more than enough time to write 4 good essays (the rest of the application basically consists of copying and pasting from an already-made resume). of course, this is just speculation... but based on the dean's report, and based on the fact that this program is so unique and well-known, i would guess at least a couple thousand people applied.

yes, today is the supposed day for interview invitations. good luck! everyone please remember--even though you will be really happy and nothing else will be on your mind--please remember to post on this blog if you receive an invitation today.

i wouldn't be surprised though if invitations aren't sent out till later.

well, now we wait....

interview invites!

by dreamingpraying » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:43 pm
i don't want to rain on anyone's parade but where is this 28 july date coming from except from that post days agO?? has anyone else called can they please say if they called and what they heard?? as i had said earlier i called them and they said they would send them out a week before but the lady sounded grouchy so i wasn't sure if she just said that because she was annoyed with me for calling. but if anyone else has called, what date did they tell them??

i guess im so anxious im worried the end of the day today ill be stressing!!
could someone else call and post what they hear?? pretty please?

best of luck anyway to everyone!!! (and i get sad thinking that it might not matter one way or the other when they send the invites if i don't get one!! but positive thinking, positive thinking)

and yes post once you hear back to save us all (and those googling 'hbs 2+2 heard back") some stressss

by keepinghope » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 pm
I saw in the business week forums that someone called and asked how many people had applied and the office said 600+.

I applied too. Good luck to everyone who applied. I'll be looking forward to seeing the profile of those who get invited to interview and accepted to attend.

telephone call to HBS 2+2

by MAP » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:43 am
I called HBS

Me = “Can you please tell me when HBS 2+2 interviews will be announced?”

Her - “It will be announced this week by email. Thank you. Click.”

Re: telephone call to HBS 2+2

by mkb » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:57 am
MAP wrote:I called HBS

Me = “Can you please tell me when HBS 2+2 interviews will be announced?”

Her - “It will be announced this week by email. Thank you. Click.”