Harvard MBA HBS 2+2

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by smkrn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:47 am
Where do you have citizenship? I'm really no expert, but I think the admissions committee would take citizenship into account. But I could definitely be wrong.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bze265 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 am
Citizen of Belize...I just recently received permanent resident status in the US though.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

US perm

by nbkaqzl » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:09 am
permanent resident is counted within the domestic applications.. don't worry..

either way, your application (experiences, essays, etc) will be different from some one who went to college in belize (or any foreign country)..

best of luck in all cases

GMAT Score:710

Just one more piece of demographic data

by daedalus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:30 pm
It looks like I'm pretty similar to the others posting here. I'm a white male from a large public university studying in the sciences. I think the key to this program is extra curricular. It's easy for Harvard to pull smart people, but difficult to find people who are incredibly accomplished at such a young age. Those of you who have started your own companies or NPOs are leaps and bounds ahead of us. I don't think Harvard's in the business of teaching leadership, but rather fostering and polishing already existing leaders (and making connections).

I'm very involved in non-business National Science Grant funded research, but my worry is that the A.C. will just wonder why a guy like me doesn't go and get his PhD instead of MBA.

Just my $.02

P.S.
PLEASE post when you get an interview

All the best,

Re: Just one more piece of demographic data

by smkrn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:00 pm
daedalus wrote:It looks like I'm pretty similar to the others posting here. I'm a white male from a large public university studying in the sciences. I think the key to this program is extra curricular. It's easy for Harvard to pull smart people, but difficult to find people who are incredibly accomplished at such a young age. Those of you who have started your own companies or NPOs are leaps and bounds ahead of us. I don't think Harvard's in the business of teaching leadership, but rather fostering and polishing already existing leaders (and making connections).

I'm very involved in non-business National Science Grant funded research, but my worry is that the A.C. will just wonder why a guy like me doesn't go and get his PhD instead of MBA.

Just my $.02

P.S.
PLEASE post when you get an interview

All the best,
If you don't mind me asking, what degree specifically are you studying in the sciences?

GMAT Score:710

by daedalus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:06 pm
complex adaptive system science

good luck!

by dreamingpraying » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:09 pm
it's nice to see this forum and have some idea of when people may be expecting interview invites!! i hope it all goes well and i concur that whenever anyone hears back on interview invites to please post. i know i'm very anxious to find out not to mention checking my email at least 100 times a day!! best of luck to all!

by smkrn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:00 pm
daedalus wrote:complex adaptive system science
Wow, that's a mouthful. I'm sure that such a unique major will work to your advantage.

by legend2005 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:33 am
What are the odds that anyone will hear anything by tomorrow?

by bze265 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:55 am
lol...about the same chances as someone guessing when the first interview invitation will be sent. i say enough with all the speculation regarding possible dates. until someone has definitive info, we should just sit and wait. :)

by smkrn » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:27 am
Ya, it's anyone's guess. I personally don't think it will be until the end of next week though. But that's just me.

by BCGuy05 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:01 am
Hey Guys and Gals, I'm new to the forum. Great job though I had been surfing hard for some info. I think the applicant pool is going to be very strong, but that a higher percentage of students will be admitted from this pool than from a normal HBS pool. I can't see THAT many kids applying to this program in its first year. Obviously it's a Harvard program and they're going to get a lot of applicants. My dad read the article in the WSJ, but it went unnoticed by many I think.
Also, it is anyone's guess as to what they're looking for. They're obviously trying to diversify their MBA program through the 2+2. This means anything that sets you apart from a normal business school student will help. For example, a very high score on the verbal section of the GMAT would be good because they're used to seeing much higher math scores. I also think that they're looking for students who would want to use their MBA in a field other than business.
I haven't done the research that most of you have done, these are just some opinions I formed during the application process. I really hope I get an interview. I felt there was a lot about me missing from the application because of its length. Good luck to all.

by bze265 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:06 pm
we should make good use of all this anxiety and uncertainty.

proposition: the person who picks the exact date of the first released invitation wins.

i will say Thursday, July 31st.

(sorry to interrupt the insightful comments with frivolous ideas!)

When you'll know

by MAP » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:37 pm
I called HBS and was told that applicants will be advised about interviews as of Monday 28 July 2008

by legend2005 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:05 pm
Thanks for the update. Did they say that all interviewees will be advised on Monday or that interviewees will begin to be notified on Monday?