Had one of the worse experiences at a GMAT location

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
So had to take the test today....
While taking the test..they turned the light of in the middle of me giving the test. It stayed OFF for some time...

Then a maintenance guy just figured he can clean all the other desks, while i was in the room taking the test,.... Not cool at all.

What to do? I called GMAT but they are closed right now... Please help. This was such a bad experience. I scored a 45 on Math, and my Verbal was 21. (All this happened while i was taking the Verbal). I was unable to focus back on it after the light incident...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by rjank » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 pm
How horrible, I'm sure that was nerve-racking and disheartening. I can't even stand it when I get distracted by things when I'm doing practice problems, much less the real thing.

Your first inclination to call them is the correct one - hopefully they will allow you to reschedule. Did you complain at the test center once you were done, get any advice from the staff there about how the issue can be addressed?

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:34 pm
Such things might happen in small town centers.

I had a similar experience when the lights went off twice with the PC running during Q, so I had to use the monitor's light to solve a quant question for 45 secs. Also they gave me a wet erasable notepad in which the staedlar pen wont work, so I had to wipe off the wet sheets with my shirt and then use them.

Just make sure you bring this to the attention of the test center owner before you retake at the same center. I have already given that guy of things to do on my retest day.(such as scheduling the test completely on a generator power supply). He agreed to all my demands !!
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by markmark » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:01 am
Ah they both got me so bad, i was unable to focus since was angry at the test center. I did not talk to the test center, i was ready to blow up and i didn't want to involve them. I went outside and called MBA.com, but they were closed. I'm waiting for it to be morning so i can call back. ( This happened in the Anahiem center, at Orange County, California).
Thing is, GMAT takes pride in giving each student the same exact experience during test taking. Something like this just throws the person offguard and you find yourself thinking, whats going on. It was so surreal.
I'm hoping GMAT will let me retake the test at no cost, if only the verbal if thats possible. Please give thoughts on this, about GMAT polices.