govt predicts

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

govt predicts

by gmatmachoman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:57 am
The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of
long-distance calls, the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly
reduce costs
, though some consumer groups disagree with the government's estimates,
suggesting they are too optimistic.

A. The goverment .... reduce costs,

B. The government predicts that costs will be greatly reduced for consumers and
businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls by the Federal
Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts,

C. The government's prediction is, for consumers and businesses making a large munber
of long-distance calls, costs will be greatly reduced by the recent telephone rate cuts
made by the Federal Communications Commission,

D. For consumers and businesses that make large number of long-distance calls, the
government prediction that the Fedral Communication's recent telephone rate cuts will
greatly reduce costs,

E. For consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, the
government predicts that the recent telephone rate cuts that the Federal Communications
Commission has made will greatly reduce costs,

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:47 am
i feel A is correct
B)incorrect bcz it says calls r done using Federal Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts
c)incorrect. 'prediction is' is not correct
D)incorrect. The modifier ("For consumers and businesses making a large number of...") modifies (the government predicts). This is incorrect
E)incorrect. Same as D
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
General blog
https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blocked/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Phirozz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:21 pm
IMO E

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:50 pm
Error tested- Modifiers

Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts, [ here it looks as if the federal commision is modifying long distance calls.Eliminated!]

C. The government's prediction is, for consumers and businesses making a large munber
of long-distance calls, costs will be greatly reduced by the recent telephone rate cuts
made by the Federal Communications Commission, [prediction is the wrong usage. we need 'predicts' here. Also we need 'that' after prediction is. Eliminated!]

D. For consumers and businesses that make large number of long-distance calls, the
government prediction that the Fedral Communication's recent telephone rate cuts will
greatly reduce costs, [modifier issue. for consumers modifies governmention prediction. Also the usage of prediction is incorrects. we need a simple present tense- predicts. Eliminated!]

E. For consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, the
government predicts that the recent telephone rate cuts that the Federal Communications
Commission has made will greatly reduce costs, [for consumers modifies government predicts. this makes it look as if the government is predicting only for consumers and businesses. Eliminated!]

My answer is A

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:34 am
Guys..Guys..Guys..Can i really know what's happeneing with u all??

U r all stalwarts of BTG BTW!!

@Fibo...& all....
Answers are wrong....I expected this would happen but not from fibo atleast to be very true!!Ok chalo take one more chance Plz!!

I think i could add this one to be added in Hall of fame question for getting wrong answers from popular users!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by rockeyb » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:58 am
Indeed a tricky question . The grammar tested is modifiers .

A. The government predicts that , should modify what the government predicts that is - the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs - Eliminate .

B .The government predicts that costs will be greatly reduced for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls by the Federal Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts
[seems that consumers and businesses make calls BY Federal Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts - change in meaning - eliminate]

C.The government's prediction is, for consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, costs will be greatly reduced by the recent telephone rate cuts made by the Federal Communications Commission,
[The sentence sounds awkward but is grammatically correct .

The government's prediction is - is correctly followed by what it predicts that is - costs will be greatly reduced by the recent telephone rate cuts made by the Federal Communications Commission and this prediction is for - for consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls - and this part of sentence is correctly made in to a nonessential modifier by putting it in between commas ]

Options D and E both has modifier error "For consumers and businesses that make large number of long-distance calls" modifies government prediction - this should be government's prediction actually .
"Know thyself" and "Nothing in excess"

MBA Student

by fibbonnaci » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:10 am
Govi, it has to be either A or E.
It depends on what is 'For consumers and businesses'? if it is the government prediction that is for the business and customers then E is right. But if it is the rate cuts that will reduce their cost the A is correct.
I assumed that government releases general prediction, and not for consumers and businesses specifically coz in E the government predicts specifically for consumers but the sentence does not imply rate cuts will reduce the costs for whom. It may / may not be for the consumers. Just that the prediction is for them.

Even Ron seems to iterate the same thought. check this link: https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/the ... t1537.html

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Rajat Khandelwal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:42 am
Error tested- Modifiers

Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts, [ here it looks as if the federal commision is modifying long distance calls.Eliminated!]

made by the Federal Communications Commission, [prediction is the wrong usage. we need 'predicts' here. Also we need 'that' after prediction is. Eliminated!]

greatly reduce costs, [modifier issue. for consumers modifies governmention prediction. Also the usage of prediction is incorrects. we need a simple present tense- predicts. Eliminated!]

Commission has made will greatly reduce costs, [for consumers modifies government predicts. this makes it look as if the government is predicting only for consumers and businesses. Eliminated!]

My answer is A
In option A ....for consumers and businesses that make a large number of
long-distance calls..is a non essential modifier phrase but ,logically, it should be restritive or essential phrase in a clause. Hence i go for option E

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:14 am
Guys,

OA is A.

Seems I got bit confused with another post...Sorry for that hasty screaming!!

@Fibo ..that was a good work Thx a ton!!

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:19 pm
'machoman', with all your respect I think you are testing as well as confusing everybody with the OA. Yes indeed OA must be A. D & E have an issue of modifier. 'The government predicts that' is better than 'The government's prediction is'. Therefore, C is wrong. So only contestants are A and B. B is out because it means that 'the Federal
Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts' is making calls. wrong modifier. Correct option is A.
gmatmachoman wrote:The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of
long-distance calls, the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly
reduce costs
, though some consumer groups disagree with the government's estimates,
suggesting they are too optimistic.

A. The goverment .... reduce costs,

Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts,

made by the Federal Communications Commission,

greatly reduce costs,

Commission has made will greatly reduce costs,

MBA Student

by fibbonnaci » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:22 pm
@reply2psg,
I dont think gmatmachoman did this intentionally. It is humane to get confused with the OA's in the posts provided we all solve soo many questions each day. He has apologised for his mistake and has also stated that he posted that msg coz of confusion. I dont think we need to blame him coz he is one of our members who posts quality questions.

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:38 pm
fibbonnaci wrote:@reply2psg,
I dont think gmatmachoman did this intentionally. It is humane to get confused with the OA's in the posts provided we all solve soo many questions each day. He has apologised for his mistake and has also stated that he posted that msg coz of confusion. I dont think we need to blame him coz he is one of our members who posts quality questions.
Many thx @Fibo.
@reply2sg.Agreed. Will see to that I am bit more careful bro!

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:50 pm
Fibbo....I totally agree with you and I fully respect machoman and people like you, who are experts in this area. I am not blaming machoman. I got confused and think others too, so I was just suggesting him. Sorry if I was rude.
@ machoman - Man, I was not intended to blame you. Sorry if you felt bad. I like to read you guys' expert comments and I learnt a lot from you guys. Sorry again.
fibbonnaci wrote:@reply2psg,

MBA Student

by fibbonnaci » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:55 pm
@reply2spg dont worry, i didnt misunderstand you. I just expressed my opinion. Now that all of us have cleared the airs and are in the same boat- Lets call it Peace!!! :)

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:10 pm
fibbonnaci wrote:@reply2spg dont worry, i didnt misunderstand you. I just expressed my opinion. Now that all of us have cleared the airs and are in the same boat- Lets call it Peace!!! :)
yeah yeah Peace @Midnight!!

Truce with Fibo!! hehehe!!

where on this earth we can get such wonderful souls aspiring for future Managers..! Eric I owe u a lot man!

Guys BTG is so nice, i donknow when I go away frm BTG, i will miss it man..Eric u can offer me a staff position bro!!I don wanna miss BTG!!