good assumption cr...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

good assumption cr...

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:36 am
"5. Economist: In the interaction between producers and consumers, the only obligation that all parties have to act in the best interests of their own side. And distribution of information about product defects is in the best interests of the consumer, So consumers are always obligated to report product defects they discover, while producers are never obligated to reveal them.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the economist's argument?
A. It is never in the best interests of producers for a producer to reveal a product defect.

B. No one expects producers to act in a manner counter to their own best interests.

C. Any product defect is likely to be discovered by consumer.

D. A product defect is more likely to be discovered by a consumer than by a producer.

E. The best interests of consumers never coincide with the best interests of producers.
"

OA IS A.

I came down to options A and E. chose E and got it wrong... [spoiler]even if E is correct you cannot come to the conclusion. try negating the option A and you will find that the answer A directly affects the conclusion...

This was a defender assumption model question in case you didnt get it...[/spoiler] Enjoy studying...
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:06 am
E takes too much wide perspective whereas A only talks about the topic discussed in Argument. That is why A is correct
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700

by kitg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:19 pm
Between A and E i will choose E!

producers have to act in the best interests of their own side and "while producers are never obligated to reveal the defects"

Assumption: it is never in the best interest of the producers to reveal defects
So, i will go with A

Problem with E as far as I can see that there might be any other best interest which (is not discussed) might be common for both the consumer and the producer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:25 pm
In the interaction between producers and consumers, the only obligation that all parties have to act in the best interests of their own side.

And distribution of information about product defects is in the best interests of the consumer,
So consumers are always obligated to report product defects they discover,

while producers are never obligated to reveal them.
--> This is not supported by anything in passage. hence option A.
A. It is never in the best interests of producers for a producer to reveal a product defect.

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:24 am
IMO: A