GMATS in one week...scores all over the place! :(

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Ok so I'm taking the GMATS in one week and I took practice exams this past week and today and my scores are literally all over the place. Should I push the exam date back?? Here's what my scorecard looks like for this past week and today
(in order):

610, 680, 660, 600, 640 (took this one this morning), 590 (took this one in the evening and was so disappointed!!)

Should I hold off and wait until my exam scores are more consistent?

I'm a bundle of nerves and get really bad anxiety when it comes to tests. i hate the gmats.

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:29 pm
Which practice tests are they? Is it GMATPrep?
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

by szy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:36 pm
yes GMATPrep and one from MGMAT (the 600 was from MGMAT). I'm retaking the GMATPrep ones and am getting different questions each time aside from maybe about two for both Quant and Verbal -- so it's not like answering those questions again affected my score too much b/c I initially got them right

by szy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:45 pm
My goal is to get nothing lower than a 640/650 on test day. I'm not worried about my verbal but Quant is where my weakness is. I heard the Quant on the real GMAT is similar to the Quant on the GMATPrep so I'm trying to do as many GMATPrep exams

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:53 am
szy wrote:Ok so I'm taking the GMATS in one week and I took practice exams this past week and today and my scores are literally all over the place. Should I push the exam date back?? Here's what my scorecard looks like for this past week and today
(in order):

610, 680, 660, 600, 640 (took this one this morning), 590 (took this one in the evening and was so disappointed!!)

Should I hold off and wait until my exam scores are more consistent?

I'm a bundle of nerves and get really bad anxiety when it comes to tests. i hate the gmats.
You took two practice tests the same day? I can barely get my brain to function well even just attempting questions the day I take a practice test, and you took another practice test on the same day!
I am inclined to say that your brain was already exhausted and tired, which is why you went to 590. I'd say discard that score and take a test when your mind is fresh :)
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

by Jake Blues » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:10 pm
such practice(doing more than one test in a day) has little value.After you finished your test you should have a good rest and than carefully go over your test,analyzing all mistakes you have done.When you do new CAT without analyzing previous one you "take" your mistakes with you into the new test,and such you just diminish the quality of learning and spoil precious CAT.
Do not rush.

by szy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:33 pm
Yeah I guess taking two exams in one day was lame on my part. I had taken a nap so when I woke up I was really fresh and decided to go for another one but I probably shouldn't have.

Well regardless of that 590, my scores are ranging from low 600s to upper 600s and that's worrying me. I thought by now my scores would be more consistent. I've been going over all the questions and solutions. My weakness is Quant and my problem is stress.

I guess I'll find out soon how well these scores mirror my actual performance. Though I'm still debating on whether or not I should take the test this week.

I'm super nervous.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:37 pm
I don't think practicing questions using GMAT prep is a bad idea, but on the other hand, I think caring about the score is. I am also on the last leg of my prep, and I am using GMAT prep to practice and find mistakes, nothing more.
Yep.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by chocoswiss » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:31 am
My exam is this friday morn (its tue night in singapore now) and even my scores are all over the place.
I notice that if i did decent in verbal (30/40/41) I made a lot of mistakes in quant but it quant went decent (45+), verbal dropped.

I have done tests from princeton, 800score, manhattan as well as the gmatprep.

My strategy is to revise the SC rules (prolly as per Manhattan SC), weakness areas in quant (modulus ques always!) but not sure how to revise 'number theory' types.

Confused overall!

by szy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:00 am
lol i guess not really focusing much on your score puts you in the right mindset, calms you, and doesn't make you as nervous.... but how is it possible to not pay attention to your score a few days before test day?! Anyway, best of luck!