Global business leaders

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Global business leaders

by manik11 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:16 am
Ending a contentious political stalemate that frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and included a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite ministers - to guide Italy, Europe's third-largest economy, out of stagnation.

A) frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and included a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite ministers - to guide Italy, Europe's

B) had frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government uniting liberals and conservatives - and including a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - to guide Italy, with Europe's

C) had been frightening global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government uniting liberals and conservatives - and that include a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - to guide Italy, which has Europe's

D) had frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and including a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - to guide Italy, which has Europe's

E) frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government to unite liberals and conservatives - and includes a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - and to guide Italy, with Europe's

OA : B
Source : Veritas Prep

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:45 am
manik11 wrote:Ending a contentious political stalemate that frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and included a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite ministers - to guide Italy, Europe's third-largest economy, out of stagnation.

A) frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and included a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite ministers - to guide Italy, Europe's

B) had frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government uniting liberals and conservatives - and including a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - to guide Italy, with Europe's

C) had been frightening global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government uniting liberals and conservatives - and that include a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - to guide Italy, which has Europe's

D) had frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and including a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - to guide Italy, which has Europe's

E) frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government to unite liberals and conservatives - and includes a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - and to guide Italy, with Europe's
APPOSITIVES are two nouns or noun phrases that appear side-by-side, with the second serving to explain or define the first.
Nouns in apposition must refer to the SAME THING.
A: Italy, Europe's third largest economy
Here, economy is in apposition to Italy, incorrectly implying that Italy and an economy are the same thing.
Eliminate A.

C: a rare coalition government...that include
Here, include (plural) does not agree with government (singular).
Eliminate C.

D: a rare coalition government that united...and including
Here, including (modifier) is not parallel with united (verb).
Eliminate D.

E: a rare coalition government to unite...and includes
Here, includes (verb) is not parallel with to unite (infinitive modifier).
Eliminate E.

The best option is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by evs.teja » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:29 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
manik11 wrote:Ending a contentious political stalemate that frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and included a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite ministers - to guide Italy, Europe's third-largest economy, out of stagnation.

Eliminate C.
Ethan Sir,
In the option C, apart from singular issue it is also not a parallel structure. Right ?
i.e. Even if the sentence had includes it would still be a grammatically wrong sentence.
Thanks
Teja

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:17 am
evs.teja wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Eliminate C.
In the option C, apart from singular issue it is also not a parallel structure. Right ?
i.e. Even if the sentence had includes it would still be a grammatically wrong sentence.
Thanks
Teja
Correct.
If we replace include with includes, C will read as follows:
a rare coalition government uniting...and that includes
Here, uniting and that includes are not parallel forms.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3