Free GMAC Test SC

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Free GMAC Test SC

by richachampion » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:27 pm
The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

A. The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

B. The ability of scientists has become ever more accurate in providing models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, such as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

C. Scientists have become able to provide ever more accurate models of the atmosphere's complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

D. Scientists have become ever more accurate in their ability for providing models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

E. Scientists' ability to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions have become ever more accurate
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:28 pm
OA: C
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:28 pm
OA: C
Last edited by richachampion on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:29 pm
I was easily down to C and E, but I eliminated C because I find it wordy and awkward. Can we discuss the Option C in detail and why it was preferred over E.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by dustystormy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:35 am
There is error in the meaning/logical interpretation in [E]. The bold portion suggests that scientist ability....have become ever more accurate. The above meaning is nonsensical. On the contrary, [C] says Scientists have become able to provide ever more accurate models.

E. Scientists' ability to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions have become ever more accurate

C. Scientists have become able to provide ever more accurate models of the atmosphere's complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:26 am
The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

A. The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere's complex
responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

B. The ability of scientists has become ever more accurate in providing models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, such as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

D. Scientists have become ever more accurate in their ability for providing models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

E. Scientists' ability to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions have become ever more accurate.
In A and E, ability (singular) does not agree with have (plural).
Eliminate A and E.

In B, the ability...has become ever more accurate conveys a nonsensical meaning.
An ABILITY cannot be ACCURATE.
The intended meaning here is that the MODELS are becoming ever more accurate.
Eliminate B.

In D, ability for is unidiomatic.
Correct: ability TO.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:03 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
The correct answer is C.
Mr. Hunt I specifically wanted to discuss C in detail because that option didn't sound very intuitive to me in the first reading.

One issue I know is the subject-verb agreement in E, but in the first glance and intitution C sounds a skeptical options.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:18 am
richachampion wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
The correct answer is C.
Mr. Hunt I specifically wanted to discuss C in detail because that option didn't sound very intuitive to me in the first reading.

One issue I know is the subject-verb agreement in E, but in the first glance and intitution C sounds a skeptical options.
C is correct because it conveys a logical meaning and is free of errors.
In your post above, the reason for eliminating C -- I find it wordy and awkward -- is insufficient.
Eliminate an answer choice only if it contains a clear error.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Needgmat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:33 am
In A and E, ability (singular) does not agree with have (plural).
Eliminate A and E.

In B, the ability...has become ever more accurate conveys a nonsensical meaning.
An ABILITY cannot be ACCURATE.
The intended meaning here is that the MODELS are becoming ever more accurate.
Eliminate B.

In D, ability for is unidiomatic.
Correct: ability TO.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.
Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Just a quick question. Can you please tell what is the actual difference between ability and to able?

Is there any particular reason when to use ability and when to use to able?

Please explain.

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:18 pm
Needgmat wrote:
Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Just a quick question. Can you please tell what is the actual difference between ability and to able? Is there any particular reason when to use ability and when to use to able? Please explain.Many thanks in advance.

Kavin
ABILITY/ABLE TO are correct form of idioms.
ABILITY/ABLE OF are Incorrect.

P.S. I have these observations based on the questions by GMAC.
R I C H A,
[email protected]