Frankenstein

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

Frankenstein

by beat_gmat_09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:22 am
Mary Shelley is widely credited for the invention of a new literary genre;many scholars consider her first and only novel,Frankenstein to be the first science fiction story.

A) for the invention of a new literary genre;many scholars consider her first and only novel,Frankenstein to be
B) for inventing of a new literary genre;many scholars consider her first and only novel,Frankenstein,as being
C) to have invented a new literary genre;many scholars regard her first and only novel,Frankenstein,to be
D) with the invention of a new literary genre;many scholars regard her first and only novel,Frankenstein,to be
E) with the invention of a new literary genre;many scholars consider her first and only novel,Frankenstein,

Will post OA shortly.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:26 am
You can eliminate A B and C right away because the correct idiom is credit with. That leaves us with D and E

I would choose E, although it sounds awkward to me, but I believe the correct idiom is "Consider X Y". What this means is that the "to be" in choice D is incorrect. I would choose E.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:45 am
OA?

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:51 am
osirus0830 wrote:OA?
OA E

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:51 am
beat_gmat_09 wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:OA?
OA E
thanks

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

by prinit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:12 am
beat_gmat_09 wrote:Mary Shelley is widely credited for the invention of a new literary genre;many scholars consider her first and only novel,Frankenstein to be the first science fiction story.

A) for the invention of a new literary genre;many scholars consider her first and only novel,Frankenstein to be
B) for inventing of a new literary genre;many scholars consider her first and only novel,Frankenstein,as being
C) to have invented a new literary genre;many scholars regard her first and only novel,Frankenstein,to be
D) with the invention of a new literary genre;many scholars regard her first and only novel,Frankenstein,to be
E) with the invention of a new literary genre;many scholars consider her first and only novel,Frankenstein,

Will post OA shortly.
My pick is E. Correct Idiom usage Consider XY
A - wrong consider to be
B - being is awkward & wrong here
C and D are wrong for regard to be usage
E is the best
I'm here to BTG :)