Four Resume Rules To Get Noticed

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

Four Resume Rules To Get Noticed

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:21 pm
How to stand out to an MBA admissions staff in a crowd of resumes? Here are four resume rules you need to know if you want to get noticed.

https://www.stacyblackman.com/2013/08/19 ... t-noticed/

1) ONE IS USUALLY ENOUGH. When it comes to that of a pre-MBA professional, a resume rarely needs to be more than one page. Don't leave out the important stuff, but don't feel the need to extend your resume longer than appropriate. In this case, more doesn't always mean better.

2) GIVE THEM A NUMBER. It's great to describe your responsibilities, but don't miss the chance to quantify your results whenever possible. Managing a staff is interesting, but the fact that you managed a staff of over 30 employees and improved profitability by 25%, is something a reader can understand. By giving the reader a number, you give them the chance to see just what kind of leader you were, and will be.

3) KEEP IT RECENT. Unless you have an amazing anecdote related to your lifeguard job when you were 16, you probably shouldn't include that job on your resume. In fact, it's best to focus on the past 4-5 years of experience, even if that doesn't amount to much on paper. Remember, your resume is a tool to tell your story, so keep your resume focused on the experiences that highlight the story of you as a leader.

4) CALLING ALL LEADERS! It's amazing that can code in three different languages, but when it comes to your resume we're not that interested in niche skills. Emphasize skills that are MBA-related like leadership and mentoring rather than niche skills that are best talked about in a job interview. But of course, if you were the leader of the Java club and helped young coders, well that's resume appropriate.

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:54 pm
The worst is when you get a resume and it's 1.15 pages. I always think to myself, "you couldn't get those last 2 sentences on to 1 page?"
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants