First GMATPrep attempt

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

First GMATPrep attempt

by man_gman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:55 pm
Hello all,

I've been studying for the GMAT for about two months now. The exam is officially scheduled for September 15. Today I tried writing the full exam from GMATPrep. I got 700 on it. It's more than I expected so I'm feeling a little relieved now. What bothers me is that the score breakdown showed 14 incorrect on Quant and 10 incorrect on Verbal. How did I get such a high score, with so many wrong answers. Is this normal?

The test is computer adaptive, I understand that. But I'd expect at most 80 percentile with the number of questions I got wrong.

Who can best explain the above discrepancy? lol

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmf5238 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:12 pm
I know it seems counter-intuitive, but the computer adaptive factor of the test entirely explains the perceived scoring issue. The scoring of the test is based solely on the difficultly level of the questions you're getting right and wrong; the raw number of correct/incorrect does not calculate your score.

Basically, the questions you got wrong were (for the most part) very high level questions, so they did not hurt your score as much as if you had gotten several lower level questions wrong.

I hope this makes sense lol, it's just a different way of scoring compared to what most people are used to.

by man_gman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:24 pm
Thank you,

I really just wanted to make sure that this isn't some sort of anomaly.

by lass_insane » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:43 am
Hi,

I took my first GMAT Prep test. Upon completion, on review screen I can see list of Quants and Verbal questions for review. However, i dont see sectional score or the total score.
Am I missing something here?

Please help, its freaking me out!

by man_gman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:35 pm
There's no need to be freaking out. It's not the real test. If I recall correctly (I had to do GMATPrep on friend's PC, since I have a mac) the score is either on top of the screen that displays correct and incorrect question, or it's on previous screen, or the one before it. I don't know if you can go back and see the score, but if you can't they should really work on their software.

- Peace