Find the fragment

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

Find the fragment

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:04 pm
This is a kind of practice question: This is easy for your GMAT prep on SC

Which of the following is a fragment?

(A) Returning from a vacation in the mountains, Benny, having been away for three weeks, decided to buy his boss a present at the airport.

(B) Yesterday, the comedy troupe, a group of six brothers who each had written a scene in the play, gave its debut performance.

(C) Because of the terrible events that had happened to her on her last flight, the teenager would not step on the airplane.

(D) The producers predicted that the movie, a horror film about extraterrestrials taking over the planet, would receive mixed reviews from critics.

(E) To sail across the Atlantic ocean, a task that Desmond had wanted to complete since he was very young, a difficult trip to make.
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:31 pm
E is fragment
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:44 pm
OA is E

Which of the following is a fragment?

(A) Returning from a vacation in the mountains, Benny, having been away for three weeks, decided to buy his boss a present at the airport. - No problem with this structure
Returning from a vacation in the mountains - modifies Benny
Benny - subject
having been away for three weeks - modifies Benny
decided to buy his boss a present at the airport - Independent clause with the subject Benny

(B) Yesterday, the comedy troupe, a group of six brothers who each had written a scene in the play, gave its debut performance. - No problem with this structure
Yesterday, the comedy troupe, - Subject
a group of six brothers who each had written a scene in the play,- Modifying the comedy troupe
gave its debut performance - Independent clause with the subject comedy troupe.

(C) Because of the terrible events that had happened to her on her last flight, the teenager would not step on the airplane. - No problem with this structure
Because of the terrible events that had happened to her on her last flight - modifies Teenager
the teenager would not step on the airplane - Independent clause

(D) The producers predicted that the movie, a horror film about extraterrestrials taking over the planet, would receive mixed reviews from critics. - No problem with this structure
The producers predicted that the movie would receive mixed reviews from critics - Subject with the beginning of clause "that"
a horror film about extraterrestrials taking over the planet, - modifies movie

(E) To sail across the Atlantic ocean, a task that Desmond had wanted to complete since he was very young, a difficult trip to make.- Problem with this structure
To sail across the Atlantic ocean - modifies task
a task that Desmond had wanted to complete since he was very young - The statement with that clause is complete
a difficult trip to make - no main verb for the main sentence
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---