Essay topics

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:700

Essay topics

by hibuhibu » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:41 pm
Hello,

I want to prepare for the application process as early as possible, and I realized that schools do not currently have much information regarding next year's applications.
However, I at least like to start on the essays.
Do essay topics change every year?
Please let me know.
Thanks alot.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by HelenF » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:05 pm
Essay topics do change from year to year, but there is also a lot of continuity. My suggestions would be:

Look at the current essays for your target schools and start to think about what you could write for them if they are asked again this year. Identifying your strongest examples of leadership, dealing with challenging situations, innovation, international experience etc can take time, so start thinkin gnow.

Think about how you want to present yourself as a candidate to the schools. What are your strengths? What are the things that will differentiate you from other candidates? Are there weaknesses that you need to mitigate, explain, or provide evidence to address. These will all impact what you express through your essays, whatever the quesitons.

Virtually every school ask something along the lines of "what have you done, what do you want to do, why do you want to do an MBA, and why at this school and now?" The wording of the question and word limit for the answer will vary from school to school, but the questions form this year will be a good guide to what to expect and you can usefully start work on these.

I hope this is helpful.

Helen

[/list]
Helen Foster | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com