Edited by fibbonnaci: cytokines

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Edited by fibbonnaci: cytokines

by EbrahimHashem » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 pm
The cytokines of the immune system, acting as signalers to adjacent cells, can provoke dangerous inflammation; the resultant autoimmune disease, characterized by cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, are known as "rheumatoid arthritis."

A) cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, are

B) cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is

C) cartilage and bone that become damaged although the immune system does not actually attack them, are

D) damaged cartilage and bone although the immune system does not actually attack them, are

E) damaged cartilage and bone although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is

Enjoy it :D

GMAT Score:730

by pc80 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:05 pm
Did you mean to say..."Is this CR question difficult?"

You posted in the wrong section!

I would go with E.

Explanation:

1. singular - so 'is' - B and E remain
2. disease is characterized by 'damaged cartilage and bone'...not disease is characterized by 'cartilage and bone'...B out E remains

What is OA?

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:15 am
This is not a CR question. It is a SC question. moving it to the sc forum.

by EbrahimHashem » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:45 am
Hello fibbonnaci,

You are right! I posted the question in the wrong place!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by kstv » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:47 am
the autoimmune disease is not characterised by cartilage and bone but by damaged cartilage
overlook A B C
between D and E what is known as "rheumatoid arthiritis" the resultant disease (singular) so is in E is appropiate.

finger crossed till OA
Last edited by kstv on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by Takshs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 am
E...concise..subject- verb agreement between "Disease" and "is"

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:18 am
This is easy one and the answer should be E.
A,C and D are out because of s-v issue. Subject of second sentence is 'the resultant autoimmune disease', so we need verb 'is' and not 'are'. B is wordy. 'cartilage and bone that become damaged' can be very well changed to 'damaged cartilage and bone'.
EbrahimHashem wrote:The cytokines of the immune system, acting as signalers to adjacent cells, can provoke dangerous inflammation; the resultant autoimmune disease, characterized by cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, are known as "rheumatoid arthritis."

A) cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, are

B) cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is

C) cartilage and bone that become damaged although the immune system does not actually attack them, are

D) damaged cartilage and bone although the immune system does not actually attack them, are

E) damaged cartilage and bone although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:04 am
reply2spg wrote:This is easy one and the answer should be E.
A,C and D are out because of s-v issue. Subject of second sentence is 'the resultant autoimmune disease', so we need verb 'is' and not 'are'. B is wordy. 'cartilage and bone that become damaged' can be very well changed to 'damaged cartilage and bone'.
EbrahimHashem wrote:The cytokines of the immune system, acting as signalers to adjacent cells, can provoke dangerous inflammation; the resultant autoimmune disease, characterized by cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, are known as "rheumatoid arthritis."

Guys, Agreed E will be the answer. But what does "they refer to in the second part of the sentence? ANy thoughts? I am not able to identify a plural Noun referent!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by VikingWarrior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:12 am
They and Them refer to "cartilage and bone"

by EbrahimHashem » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:55 am
I think you guys have to try a little bit harder :wink:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:24 pm
Is 'B' the incorrect answer because of wordiness, though still grammatically correct?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by lkm » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:14 pm
My vote goes to (E).

What is OA?

by EbrahimHashem » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:25 pm
I chose E too, but the official answer is B, which I'm not convinced about! The following is the official explanation for the answer:

"The lengthy intervening phrase characterized by cartilage and bone....the immune system masks the subject/verb problem. The singular subject autoimmune disease doesn't agree with the plural verb are . You can eliminate (A), (C) and (D). Choices (B) and (E) both use the correct singular verb ' , but only (B) is correct. (E) lacks the parallelism that (B) retains: that become damaged although...not actually attacked."

I got the question (and answer) from one of Kaplan online courses!

Any thoughts and comments on the official answer and explanation?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:00 pm
This is a copy of an official question about standing waves

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as "standing waves."

(A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is

(D) stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(E) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

I have noticed that Kaplan and Newton have rewritten at least one official SC question. I suppose they are good practice, but only in the event you have exhausted OG and GMATPrep questions
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:47 am
I choose E too and die too

this is a question in OG 10, I have finished but I still die.

"although" in E require a previous clause