doubt SC B 9

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC B 9

by aditya8062 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:46 am
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health car, education, and environment.
A. they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
B. they denounce big government-they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time
C. they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
D. while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
E. while they are denouncing big government-they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

my concern: in option A will "COMMA+WHILE+VERBING" (a verbless clause) not take "big government" as its subject? After all "big government" is the preceding subject
thanks and best regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:01 am
aditya8062 wrote:my concern: in option A will "COMMA+WHILE+VERBING" (a verbless clause) not take "big government" as its subject? After all "big government" is the preceding subject
Generally, PARALLEL FORMS serve the SAME FUNCTION.
A: Many people in the United States...denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs.
Here, supporting is parallel to saying.
The implication is that both forms serve the same function:
Each serves to refer to many people in the United States, conveying that many people in the United States are SAYING while SUPPORTING.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3