doubt SC B 1

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC B 1

by aditya8062 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:35 pm
Good Day Guru
sentence 1: the cost of running the nuclear power plant is higher than for other power plant ---->correct
sentence 2: the incidence of disease among men is higher than among women

my concern : if ELLIPSES is making sentence 1 correct then will sentence 2 be also correct ( i feel ellipses is taking care of the meaning)

thanks and best regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:52 am
aditya8062 wrote:Good Day Guru
sentence 1: the cost of running the nuclear power plant is higher than for other power plant ---->correct
Sentence 1 is not correct.

Sentence 1 is similar to SC77 in the OG16, but it changes the OA in a substantive way by replacing the same as with higher than.
Here is the OA to SC77:
The cost of running nuclear power plants is about the same as for other types of power plants.
Here, the same is a pronoun standing in for the same cost of running.
The result is the following comparison:
The cost of running nuclear power plants is about the same [cost of running] as [is the cost of running] for other types of power plants.
Here, the usage of the same as yields a clear comparison.

Sentence 1 attempts to replace the same as with higher than, as follows:
The cost of running nuclear power plants is higher than for other types of power plants.
Here, the portion in red does not convey a clear meaning.
Thus, sentence 1 not viable.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:44 am
Good Day Guru
many thanks Guru for this insight . i never realised that a small change can make a sentence WRONG
But please tell me the following

sentence 3: The cost of running nuclear power plants is about the same as THAT for other types of power plants---->is this correct?
sentence 4: the cost of running the nuclear power plant is higher than THAT for other power plant ---->this seems correct .After i read your above post i feel we need "THAT" to make the comparison logical

thanks and best regards