doubt SC A 3

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC A 3

by aditya8062 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:09 am
sentence 1: scientists discovered irrefutable evidence that mars was once covered with water, disproving the hypothesis that the planet has always been dry

Doubt: i feel that this sentence must be WRONG as comma + VERBing is MODIFYING the previous clause "mars was once covered with water" , a situation which is NOT really happening . in actuality "scientists" must be "disproving the hypothesis"

thanks and best regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:27 am
Please post the entire SC, along with the answer choices.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:36 am
Good Day Guru

Guru this sentence is not from any SC ;i am really sorry but i came across this sentence while doing the following problem:

Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the chemical makeup of the surface of Mars in recent eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was previously thought.

(A) eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was
(B) eras, therefore concluding that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water or more as was
(C) eras and have therefore concluded that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water as
(D) eras and they have concluded, therefore, that its crust harbors up to three times as much water, or more, than
(E) eras and concluded, therefore, that the planet's crust is harboring up to three times more water as was

please note that in this problem i eliminated A and B because "therefore concluding" is modifying "moving water changed the chemical makeup of the surface of Mars in recent eras" -----> which is wrong .Kindly tell me whether same logic can be extended to SENTENCE 1?

thanks and best regards

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:26 pm
aditya8062 wrote:Good Day Guru

Guru this sentence is not from any SC ;i am really sorry but i came across this sentence while doing the following problem:

Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the chemical makeup of the surface of Mars in recent eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was previously thought.

(A) eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was
(B) eras, therefore concluding that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water or more as was
(C) eras and have therefore concluded that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water as
(D) eras and they have concluded, therefore, that its crust harbors up to three times as much water, or more, than
(E) eras and concluded, therefore, that the planet's crust is harboring up to three times more water as was

please note that in this problem i eliminated A and B because "therefore concluding" is modifying "moving water changed the chemical makeup of the surface of Mars in recent eras" -----> which is wrong .Kindly tell me whether same logic can be extended to SENTENCE 1?

thanks and best regards
This line of reasoning is sound.
In both your sentence and the official sentence, the agent of COMMA + concluding should be the implied subject of the preceding that-clause.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:31 am
Hi Mitch,

I have a doubt in comma + VERB-ing.

Till now I knew that comma + VERB-ing refers to clause....like part before comma + VERB-ing is CAUSE and part after comma + VERB-ing is action.

The volcano erupted, blotting out the sun.

This is new for me that comma + VERB-ing can refer to a subject/ word in previous sentence.

Also, can you please help me in understanding the usage of (, + including) in sentence.

does comma + INCLUDing refers to a noun in sentence or the complete clause.
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:22 am
Till now I knew that comma + VERB-ing refers to clause....like part before comma + VERB-ing is CAUSE and part after comma + VERB-ing is action.
yes it does. in fact in one my posts Guru has explained it very nicely. give me some time i will attach that post here

Also, can you please help me in understanding the usage of (, + including) in sentence.

COMMA +INCLUDING is an exception to COMMA + VERBING. it is not used to describe the previous CLAUSE BUT it describes the LIST mentioned before the comma

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:23 pm
vishalwin wrote:Hi Mitch,

I have a doubt in comma + VERB-ing.

The volcano erupted, blotting out the sun.

This is new for me that comma + VERB-ing can refer to a subject/ word in previous sentence.
Check my post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ing-verb-mod ... 14885.html

Check my post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/seamus-heaney-t283948.html

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3