Disabling effect - Conditionals

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Disabling effect - Conditionals

by suchoudh » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:32 pm
The parents of a baby born with spina bifida say that had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy.

(A) had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy

(B) had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they would have chosen to abort the pregnancy

(C) they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy if they had known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain

(D) if they had known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy

(E) they might have chose to abort the pregnancy had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain

OA to follow.

Well, I always have a problem choosing between the conditionals; and I am unsure how to eliminate any of these answer choices. It would be helpful if someone can point a general rule here.
Last edited by suchoudh on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by akahuja143 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:13 pm
IMO B
IF Had.... then Would have

B is the only choice with right construction

by pops » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 pm
suchoudh wrote:The parents of a baby born with spina bifida say that had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy.

(A) had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy

(B) had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they would have chosen to abort the pregnancy

(C) they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy if they had known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain

(D) if they had known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy

(E) they might have chose to abort the pregnancy had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain

OA to follow.

Well, I always have a problem choosing between the conditionals; and I am unsure how to eliminate any of these answer choices. It would be helpful if someone can point a general rule here.
B. eliminated. changes the meaning ('might have' in the 'should have' here)

out of C, D and E.. I am going for C because of the sentence construction.
Would like to get OA and explaination from an expert :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:19 pm
I am going for D over C.

When the dependent clause contains past perfect, then use would have/could have +Verb (past particple) in the main clause.

Main clause :they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy

Dependent clause :if they had known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain.

Always mainclause follows the dependent clause followed with a comma before it as in D.

IMO D

by Shawshank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:02 am
IMO -- B
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:03 am
suchoudh wrote:The parents of a baby born with spina bifida say that had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy.

(B) had they known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they would have chosen to abort the pregnancy< Meaning change

(D) if they had known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain, they might have chosen to abort the pregnancy<- IF condition then Might have.....
IMO D

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:30 am
gmatmachoman wrote:I am going for D over C.

When the dependent clause contains past perfect, then use would have/could have +Verb (past particple) in the main clause.

Dependent clause :if they had known the child would be born with a disabling defect that can result in paralysis, profound learning disabilities and fluid on the brain.

Always mainclause follows the dependent clause followed with a comma before it as in D.

IMO D
meeeee toooooo with D.

As machoman has said, construction is better in D than in C.

it makes sense to give the cause before than the effect.

knowing beforehand -> aborting pregnancy.
Regards,
Harsha

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:17 am
harshavardhanc wrote:
gmatmachoman wrote:I am going for D over C.

IMO D

meeeee toooooo with D.

As machoman has said, construction is better in D than in C.

it makes sense to give the cause before than the effect.

knowing beforehand -> aborting pregnancy.

Harsha Bhai..

That's the way to go... Who we are..? We are Lions!!!(Remember Brad pitt saying in Troy when he reaches the shores of Troy)

by aspirant2010 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:13 am
I would go for B........C,D and E...if statement is not properly used....A wrong

by suchoudh » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:01 pm
Bump.

Hmm..no one has arrived at the correct answer or given a satisfactory explanation. Can a test expert please take a look?

by Shawshank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:32 pm
suchoudh wrote:Bump.

Hmm..no one has arrived at the correct answer or given a satisfactory explanation. Can a test expert please take a look?
Hey BUddy..

U mean "B" And "D" both are wrong... tht' ll surprise all of us who answered,,,
Whts the OA

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jumpin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:58 pm
IMHO-->D
hey Shwashank, why B?
we have good reasons (as mentioned above) to choose D....

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:28 am
Is it E?

I opt for B. But surprisingly since as per 'suchoudh' it is not either B or D, I am choosing E. But I still think B is correct.

by Shawshank » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 pm

OA to follow.

Is there some rule on the use of "might have" and "would have"... Would have lsounds more logical ehre.. hence have selected "B"...

Can you post tyhe OA please..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hd1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 am
Whats the OA for this?

I am guessing its E