dedication

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

dedication

by gmatmachoman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:05 am
A dedication by Colin Powell, given in the same year as his appointment as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, commemorated the buffalo soldiers at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, the birthplace of one of the regiments.

A. A dedication by Colin Powell, given in the same year as his appointment as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
B. A dedication by Colin Powell, given in the same year as his appointment to chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
C. A dedication by Colin Powell, given in the same year that he was appointed chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
D. Colin Powell gave a dedication in the same year as his appointment as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff that
E. Colin Powell gave a dedication in the same year of appointment as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff that

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sallespadua » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:22 pm
I would go with (E). It follows the verb tense and it is not in passive voice. OA?

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:19 pm
A dedication by Colin Powell, given in the same year as his appointment as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, commemorated the buffalo soldiers at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, the birthplace of one of the regiments.

A. A dedication by Colin Powell, given in the same year as his appointment as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
B. A dedication by Colin Powell, given in the same year as his appointment to chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
C. A dedication by Colin Powell, given in the same year that he was appointed chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
D. Colin Powell gave a dedication in the same year as his appointment as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff that
E. Colin Powell gave a dedication in the same year of appointment as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff that
Real toughie.....I would request the TS(thread starter) to check the Q. If the comma after "staff" is also underlined, then i don't like any of the options.

Given that the comma is not underlined, i would get stuck between C and E...

the problem with A, B and D is "dedication given in the same year as his appointment as chairman" uses incorrect comparison. C has a passive voice but E has an ambiguous modifier "that"

E says that the joint chiefs of staff commemorated the buffalo soldiers at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, which makes little sense....i go for C

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vijay_venky » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:27 pm
I guess E has one more problem, the absence of "his" before appointment which makes the sentence ambiguous.
My pick C

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by VikingWarrior » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 pm
Good Question macho!
Ruled out [spoiler]D & E[/spoiler] as they change the subject.
Among A, B & C correct idiom usage is the issue thus my answer is C

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by mohit11 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Dedication by Colin Powell commemorated the buffalo soldiers and not Colin Powell. So rule D & E out, both D & E distort the meaning.

as is used to compare clauses, while that is used to introduce essential information. So C Wins