daughters

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

daughters

by vscid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:37 am
The Daughters of the American Revolution, a volunteer service organization, admits as members only women who can prove lineal descent from a patriot of the American Revolution.

1]admits as members only women who can prove lineal descent

2]admit as members only women who can prove lineal descent

3]admits as members women who can prove lineal descent

4]only admit as members women who can prove lineal descent

5]admits as members women who can prove lineal descent only
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:19 am
vscid wrote:The Daughters of the American Revolution, a volunteer service organization, admits as members only women who can prove lineal descent from a patriot of the American Revolution.

1]admits as members only women who can prove lineal descent - correct

2]admit as members only women who can prove lineal descent - need singular 'admits' here

3]admits as members women who can prove lineal descent - only is missing - wrong

4]only admit as members women who can prove lineal descent - only, need singular - wrong

5]admits as members women who can prove lineal descent only - awkward placement of only
I am on a break !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:08 am
i think A is correct... it was between A and C, but C takes out ONLY and changes the original meaning of the sentence.. Admit would be wrong because the "group" is singular not plural
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:13 am
The key with this problem is to realize that "The Daughters of the American Revolution" is a collective noun. This means that it needs a singular verb. Also, the adverb "only" needs to correctly modify admits, which it only does in choice A.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:32 am
osirus0830 wrote:The key with this problem is to realize that "The Daughters of the American Revolution" is a collective noun. This means that it needs a singular verb. Also, the adverb "only" needs to correctly modify admits, which it only does in choice A.
"The Daughters of the American Revolution" is not collective noun, its the name of an organization.Hence, Singular.

I think you meant the same.
I am on a break !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:07 am
vscid wrote:The Daughters of the American Revolution, a volunteer service organization, admits as members only women who can prove lineal descent from a patriot of the American Revolution.

1]admits as members only women who can prove lineal descent - Correct

2]admit as members only women who can prove lineal descent - 'organization' is singular so we need singular verb 'admit'

3]admits as members women who can prove lineal descent - the word 'only' is missing here and the meaning of the sentence changes. Incorrect

4]only admit as members women who can prove lineal descent - 'organization' is singular so we need singular verb 'admit'

5]admits as members women who can prove lineal descent only - Awkward