Crime n Health Care

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

Crime n Health Care

by komal » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:09 pm
A result of the recent election is realizing that in this increasingly urban area-there is now more worry about crime than health care.
(A) realizing that in this increasingly urban area, there is now more worry about crime
(B) the realization that in this increasingly urban area, they now worry more about crime
(C) the realization that in this increasingly urban area, voters now worry more about crime
(D) a realizing that in this increasingly urban area, there is now more concern about crime
(E) the realization that in this increasingly urban area, concerns about crime are greater

OA [spoiler](C)[/spoiler]

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:53 pm
(A) realizing that in this increasingly urban area, there is now more worry about crime [ it sounds as if the result is realizing something. wrong. how can a result realize something? Eliminated!]

(B) the realization that in this increasingly urban area, they now worry more about crime [ 'they' does not have a proper antecedent. Eliminated!]

(C) the realization that in this increasingly urban area, voters now worry more about crime [ correct! meaning intent maintained]

(D) a realizing that in this increasingly urban area, there is now more concern about crime [ same error as in A. result is not realizing anything. Eliminated!]

(E) the realization that in this increasingly urban area, concerns about crime are greater [ wrong comparison. concerns about crime are compared to health care. they should have been compared to concerns about health care. Eliminated!]

Hope this helps!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:57 pm
i'm going to go with C.. because it adds VOTERS
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vijay_venky » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 pm
1. A result should be a noun and the realization suits better.(down to three options)
2. "they" pronoun antecedent absent.
3. E is wrong because of the wrong comparison.

So IMO C

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gauravgundal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:51 am
Ya i Agree with vijay
Check the to be kind of verb form.
Noun clause/phrase to be verb form Noun clau/phrase

A result of ... is (Noun clause/Phrase) The realization ..
So we are down to
B,C and E

B --- Goes off ..because the Pronoun has no antecedent.

C and E

Problems in answer choice E: how the concerns can be greater.It can be possible that people are more concern about something ..so E is incorrect.
Or Concerns about CRIME > Health .....How the comparison between Con. abt .CRIME and Health is possible ?

IMO C...