crashed by GMAT 350

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

crashed by GMAT 350

by hich123 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:52 am
I appeared for GMAT yesterday, I got really crashed. I am so mad at myself and I don't know what to do. Any helps or suggestions would be really appreciated.

by calical » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:18 pm
Sorry to hear about score. I have a few question.
How long and what study material was used?
What was the breakdown of Q&V on the GMAT?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Re: crashed by GMAT 350

by vivecan2005 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:04 pm
hich123 wrote:I appeared for GMAT yesterday, I got really crashed. I am so mad at myself and I don't know what to do. Any helps or suggestions would be really appreciated.
One thing I have to say; In most cases 350-400 type score is a consequence of haste and anxiety to see actual GMAT score! Before moving to register for Actual GMAT Exam, Ask yourself these questions?

Am I ready to solve quadratic equations with average speed of 20-30 seconds per question?

Am I ready to looking at the Triangle and other figures and remember and apply all the formulas and theorums within 20-30 seconds?

Am I ready to look at coordinates and quickly come up with the exact thing which is asked?

Am I ready to read a geek style paragraph of 350 words related to Enzymes and Microbiology and able to remeber all technical terms with thier assumed meaning and use that meaning in the available choices?

Never make haste to register tests untill you challenge GMAT by sitting at Home and be able to solve qustions randomly from various books and still get it right

by hich123 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:17 am
Thank you guys for the response. My break down was Q22 and V11.
My question is: Does GMAT test connect between Quant section and Verbal Section,meaning if I did bad in Quant, would the computer automatically ranks my score on verbal section.
Thank you guys.

GMAT Score:710

by palvarez » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:21 am
hich123 wrote:Thank you guys for the response. My break down was Q22 and V11.
My question is: Does GMAT test connect between Quant section and Verbal Section,meaning if I did bad in Quant, would the computer automatically ranks my score on verbal section.
Thank you guys.
Nope, they are independently evaluated.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Poor GMAT score

by gettingready » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:34 am
Hi hich123

I understand your pain and frustration. I took the GMAT and scored 470 when I really need more than 620-650. I realized that I did not take enough simulated exams and did not practice enough. I have some weaknesses that I need to address in math(actually looking for some type of tutoring). What is your plan?

by hich123 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:19 pm
my plan is to study more aggressively for the this coming two month and I take the test on mid-january. the reason i did bad in the exam because I was studing on and off. The thing is the deadline for submitting the application is February 1st. I am 29 years old and with GPA of 3.1 and 3 years of experience in financial services industry. I wanted to get my mba before I turned 34 years you know it ease.

The school that I am applying to is requiring at least 590 and the average is 610. Therefore I need to study hard and hopefully pass it and I apply to the school before Deadline. How about you?

GMAT Score:590

by carllecat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:10 pm
I used to be in the same boat and realized I had to go to the basic and build up from that point. I bought a book that provided a good review of basic math and started feeling confident enough to review and attack Kaplan Math Workbook and then I realized I still needed help with word problems. Therefore, I bought the MGMAT Word Problems book and work on my weakness...

At some point, I believe that my new improved technique has helped me along the way and after 4 months of serious studying, I am now looking forward to take the test.

My advice to you would be to take your time and learn from your mistakes. During my first prep, back 2 years ago, I rushed everything because my wife was pregnant and thought I would never have enough time to commit to studying afterward. However, I learned to prioritize and make some real concessions so I can get admitted in a good Business School and even with two young babies at home, I feel stronger than ever! Do not rush anything, give yourself some time to build a solid foundation of the concepts tested in the GMAT, prioritize, visualize, and most important of all... HAVE FUN!

Cheers!

by hich123 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:35 pm
Thanks Carl for the motivation I am planning to put a lot effort for this test.

Re

by gettingready » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:21 pm
Yes, Carl sounds good. Our situations seem similar. I plan to apply to top schools that require top scores. My problem is the time I have available (is not much). I was hoping to apply for 2010 and I don't think it will happen. I am searching for a GOOD math book/material that could give me a solid understanding of some concepts. This is my problem. If you could suggest any would be a great help. I feel like I have some windows in my head that are not "opening" in certain math areas. Some materials I looked over were too basic. Others would not go in any details. Motivation IS there! :D In addition, I cannot take my time as you suggest (unfortunately). I am older and would like to make the switch faster. Good luck and congratulations for your attitude! Rocks!

I'm on the same boat

by laybar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:10 pm
Does anyone recomends a good private tutor?

Re: Re

by carllecat » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:29 am
gettingready wrote:Yes, Carl sounds good. Our situations seem similar. I plan to apply to top schools that require top scores. My problem is the time I have available (is not much). I was hoping to apply for 2010 and I don't think it will happen. I am searching for a GOOD math book/material that could give me a solid understanding of some concepts. This is my problem. If you could suggest any would be a great help. I feel like I have some windows in my head that are not "opening" in certain math areas. Some materials I looked over were too basic. Others would not go in any details. Motivation IS there! :D In addition, I cannot take my time as you suggest (unfortunately). I am older and would like to make the switch faster. Good luck and congratulations for your attitude! Rocks!
I used the following books (see below) for my initial prep and once I felt ready enough, I attacked MGMAT Word Problems, Kaplan Math Workbook and the OG.

1. Math Review for Standardized Tests (Cliffs Test Prep)

2. Secret of Mental Math: The Mathemagician's Guide to Lightining Calculations and Amazing Math Tricks.

I started with the first book and did each and every sections and then used a grid and mixed the problems and worked on 10 different problems every mornings.

I reviewed the latter book when I did not want to study too hard on odd days and let me tell you that the content of that book is really interesting and amusing; you can even try to impress your colleague with your new mental calculation skills!

These two resources, and more specifically the first one, helped me quite a bit in brushing my math skills. During the review of that resource, I realized that the time spent on reviewing GMAT problems was sort of a waste, because I did not have the basic tools to solve most of them.

I wish you the best and hope you will succeed in your journey. Find a way to enjoy studying for the GMAT and this should will be a real walk in the park!

Cheers my friend.

Re: Re

by carllecat » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:39 am
gettingready wrote:Yes, Carl sounds good. Our situations seem similar. I plan to apply to top schools that require top scores. My problem is the time I have available (is not much). I was hoping to apply for 2010 and I don't think it will happen. I am searching for a GOOD math book/material that could give me a solid understanding of some concepts. This is my problem. If you could suggest any would be a great help. I feel like I have some windows in my head that are not "opening" in certain math areas. Some materials I looked over were too basic. Others would not go in any details. Motivation IS there! :D In addition, I cannot take my time as you suggest (unfortunately). I am older and would like to make the switch faster. Good luck and congratulations for your attitude! Rocks!

Also, when you work on problems and you are having a hard time finding the solution, I recommend that you write the entire problem with the solution and the way to get to that solution on a flashcard and review these cards on a regular basis so you get use to the concepts tested.

I have written more than 100 flashcards, and after having reviewed some of these over and over, I now know how to work the problem. Why flashcards, because you can carry it with you pretty much everywhere and can fill some period of spare time studying. I took the good habit of taking 15 minute breaks in the morning as well as in the afternoon to review random cards. It is important to do so, because during your preparation, you will go over a lot of concepts and it is just too easy for your brain to format some concepts on which you are weak to make some room for new ones... What you want to do is to force your brain to stock the info in your long-term memory and not just in the waiting room i.e. short-term memory or the cache.

My 0.02 cents!

by farrathl » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:20 pm
Hey! Do not give up. I scored twice in the 300's in my first two times. I am 30 years old and I also aspire to get an MBA before I am 34. We can't give up. I am determined this time to score much better. The school I am applying for does not require over 600. I am planning to take the exam again in February. I received advise from one of the members to get a high school math book and start from the basics, since the concepts have to come to us as a second nature. My plan is to study math concepts during 3 weeks and then since I need discipline, I will be taking an online course to keep me in a good pace. I think the reason why I had such horrible scores is because I underestimated the exam. I have a GPA of 3.85 and I usually do well in regular college exams. My first time, I did not pick up a book. The second time I studied for 3 months, but during the test I felt I did not have enough comprehension on each topic and this is why I was not able to be up to speed. I am definitely an snail. Besides, If I am not giving up, why would anyone? I am at the bottom. Most people seem to be ungrateful about a 650 score, when I have not even reached a 400! We need to conquer this sucker! I won't let the exam determined what I want to do with my life. Just keep posting and we'll encourage each other.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:43 pm
Don't give up, you are BETTER than this stupid test! :)

Great advice everyone!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school