Comparison..

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Comparison..

by Baand » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:41 pm
Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

A. ...
B. Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish.
C. Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged arblers are very difficult to distinguish.
D. It is very difficult, unlike in most arbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.
E. Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.

What's wrong with D..??Please help!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:06 pm
Is the OA A?
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:09 pm
D is nonsensical according to me. It is not clear, what "Unlike .." has been compared to.

According to me in A, other species are properly likened to the blue winged warbler.

E also works but I am not sure of the usage "species of warbler", it should have been species of warblers.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Baand » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 am
vineeshp wrote:D is nonsensical according to me. It is not clear, what "Unlike .." has been compared to.

According to me in A, other species are properly likened to the blue winged warbler.

E also works but I am not sure of the usage "species of warbler", it should have been species of warblers.
Vineesh - Correct D has a modifier error.
A - incorrect,compares blue-winged warbler to species of warbler.
Yeah E is correct,i also think "species of warbler" is incorrect,but the best of five!!:)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dodgeforgmat » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:20 am
I agree that A is incorrect but the reasoning according to me is different. There is a comparision issue ofcourse but the issue is with comparing 'Other Warbler species' to 'Male and Female..'. The comparision has to be b/w most warbler species to blue-winged warbler.
IMO C

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:28 am
Baand wrote:Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

A. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart
B. Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish. ----- wrong comparison
C. Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged arblers are very difficult to distinguish. ----- wrong comparison
D. It is very difficult, unlike in most arbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart. ----wrong comparison
E. Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart. ------uses singular it for blue winged warblers

What's wrong with D..??Please help!!