Columbia Admission

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Columbia Admission

by Average Guy234 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:03 am
Hello Team,

Hello Team,

I am currently in process of researching fro colleges.I wanted your advice on Columbia Business School.

Before we begin few information about my background;I am interested in International management .So my first choice is Columbia.But it seems for Indian guys with Technology background Columbia is interested in only IITians working in finance with high (read approx 97%) rejection for others from technology background despite good credentials.I personally know 4 IITians working in finance to be selected.

Can you please inform me if Columbia has been this selective and what are my chances given the fact that I am non-IITian with Technology engg background and 3 years international exp in paris,volunteering work for last 6 years?

Regards
Avg Guy

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:37 am
Hello--

There are many factors that go into business school admissions.... your academics (including prior grades, school, and GMAT scores); your professional and life experiences; leadership experience and potential; your personal strengths and passions; volunteering/extracurricular involvement; your overall story (shown in your essays) of WHY you want the degree and what you'll do with it (and what you'll bring to the program); your recommendations (what others say about you); whether you show a fit with the school; etc etc.

Many of those points I do not know much about at this point in time so hard to fully assess. In general yes it can be challenging for Indian IT and engineering applicants to b-schools since there are SO many, and in many cases the scores and stats and work experience sound similar. So it's quite competitive and yes top 5-10 or so ranked schools in particular will be a reach in most cases. And sure IIT can be a plus, but obviously not something you can change now.

Having higher than average GMAT scores and grades can help; any way in which you differentiate from your peers (with similar backgrounds) can help; volunteering and involvement can help; sharing a clear and compelling vision of why and how you'll use the MBA can help.... and at the end of the day it can be fairly subjective as the admissions committee assesses how you stack up against your peers in all of the ways mentioned.

Even if a school is a 'reach', it is sometimes still worth applying to, especially if you feel you'd regret NOT applying... so do your research, get to know the school well so you can really demonstrate that 'fit' with the program. But for best chances of getting in somewhere, it can also be good to apply to a few schools with different levels of competitiveness to see what happens and have the best chances.

Good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders