cleveland

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

cleveland

by ashishd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:40 am
21. With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life ands attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:59 am
i think there is a typo in this question.. please recheck it..
according to the answer choices, B seems good to me..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by rah_pandey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:43 am
D for me "One of..... communities" is plural

Re: cleveland

by cata1yst » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:18 am
ashishd wrote:21. With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life ands attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract
Cleveland is singular so either A or B.

I will go with A since it is more concise. The waterfront is a way to improve quality of life.

by PAB2706 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:29 am
IMO C one of the communities that are...bcos when we use "that" we are concentrating on communities and not Cleveland thus we use are...

but i think it shud be "looking at their waterfronts" and not looking to their waterfronts

looking at is properly used in E but "as a way they can improve" seems wordy to me..... and again i think it shud be to improve parallel with to develop....

so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:?

by cata1yst » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:40 am
PAB2706 wrote:IMO C one of the communities that are...bcos when we use "that" we are concentrating on communities and not Cleveland thus we use are...

but i think it shud be "looking at their waterfronts" and not looking to their waterfronts

looking at is properly used in E but "as a way they can improve" seems wordy to me..... and again i think it shud be to improve parallel with to develop....

so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:?
Actually I agree now.

C does look correct. My misunderstanding on is/are.