Chinese Scientist

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Chinese Scientist

by piyush_nitt » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:09 pm
Birds' feathers appear to have evolved from dinosaur scales well over 100 million years ago, <Chinese scientists have shown, based on a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.>

A) Chinese scientists have shown, based on a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.

B) Chinese scientists have shown a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.

C) Chinese scientists showed, based on a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.

D) when the Chinese scientists found a fossil bird in the Yixian mountains of northern China.

E) which the Chinese scientists say can be proven from a fossil bird which they found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.

Re: Chinese Scientist

by x2suresh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:30 pm
piyush_nitt wrote:Birds' feathers appear to have evolved from dinosaur scales well over 100 million years ago, <Chinese scientists have shown, based on a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.>

A) Chinese scientists have shown, based on a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.

B) Chinese scientists have shown a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.

C) Chinese scientists showed, based on a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.

D) when the Chinese scientists found a fossil bird in the Yixian mountains of northern China.

E) which the Chinese scientists say can be proven from a fossil bird which they found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.
A is not great.. but best among them.

All other options.. even make setences worse..

B,D,E --> distorts the meaning.

c .. showed is incorrect.

Followed by:1 members

by awesomeusername » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:57 pm
I agree, (A)
Constant dripping hollows out a stone.
-Lucretius

by piyush_nitt » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 pm
awesomeusername wrote:I agree, (A)
Thanks guys

OA is indeed A

But Don't you think that A is a example of Comma splice .

Ic + , + IC

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by deep » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:10 pm
I am confused between A and C. Can some one plz explain

by marcusking » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:50 am
deep wrote:I am confused between A and C. Can some one plz explain
The tense of the verbs must agree.

With C it says "Chinese scientists showed" meaning past tense, but the rest of the sentence says "Birds' feathers appear" appear is in present tense.

Choice A however says "Chinese scientists have shown". I know this may be confusing and I can't think of a good way to explain it but this almost can be present tense as well as past tense.

Choice C almost can be interpreted as the scientists showed, at ONE particular point in time. But choice A can be interpreted as they have shown, and continue to show.

Hope this helps.

by piyush_nitt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 pm
piyush_nitt wrote:Birds' feathers appear to have evolved from dinosaur scales well over 100 million years ago, <Chinese scientists have shown, based on a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.>

The reason I posted this Question because I think choice A is an example of Comma Splice.

Birds' feathers appear to have evolved from dinosaur scales well over 100 million years ago, <Chinese scientists have shown, based on a fossil bird found in the Yixian mountains of northern China.>

Bold Parts are Subjects IMO, and underlined parts are verbs , separated by a comma.

Can anyone plz comment on this ?

Thanks !

by piyush_nitt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm

The reason I posted this Question because I think choice A is an example of Comma Splice.

Bold Parts are Subjects IMO, and underlined parts are verbs , separated by a comma.

Can anyone plz comment on this ?

Thanks !

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:11 am
we should focus on OG questions. study of bad questions destroys our perfomance.

by piyush_nitt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:02 pm
duongthang wrote:we should focus on OG questions. study of bad questions destroys our perfomance.
Thanks for kind suggestion !!