Can't beat the GMAT in Madrid 790 q51 v51

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790
I am a former Kaplan GMAT instructor and I take the exam every year, and I can say that I have not noticed any changes over the past 5 years in either the quantitative or verbal section. No boldfaced CRs, no questions about combinatronics...On the quant side, lots of algebra and number properties.

The experimental section went well, but it was hard to focus after concentrating on the GMAT and AWA.
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:03 pm
Hi,

It is good to hear such a statement from a GMAT instructor...
But it might be the case that GMAT varies from country to country or continent to continent..
YOU NEVER KNOW !!

Coz Asians are very good at quant, asians might get tougher quant... N since asians are not that good in verbal since we are not native people...anything slightly tougher in verbal might be very difficult for us...

Again..this has been discussed in the past and has caused lot many varied opinions....
But I just thought of putting my part !!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 pm
congrats on cracking the GMAT again.
bold face CR questions are not asked in the exam?
Also can you tell us any other patterns that you found out in the last five years?

I thought if you score 51/51 we get 800. Is it not the case?

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor

by kevincanspain » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 am
adi_800 wrote:Hi,

It is good to hear such a statement from a GMAT instructor...
But it might be the case that GMAT varies from country to country or continent to continent..
YOU NEVER KNOW !!

Coz Asians are very good at quant, asians might get tougher quant... N since asians are not that good in verbal since we are not native people...anything slightly tougher in verbal might be very difficult for us...

Again..this has been discussed in the past and has caused lot many varied opinions....
But I just thought of putting my part !!
I hope that this is not the case: the GMAT is supposed to allow business schools to compare people with different backgrounds.
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by gmatlnv » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:07 am
Hi

Surprised to hear that. I wrote the GMAT 2 weeks back and I got both the boldface CR and the combinatorics (infact 2) questions. I got a lot of DS in the Math sections. Should I then assume that I was in a medium bin cos I scored just 650 (Q49, V28)? Confusing....

GMAT Instructor

by kevincanspain » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 am
I have not seen any patterns from year to year either in content or in difficulty. I find this reassuring.
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by ithinkican » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:57 am
kevincanspain wrote:I am a former Kaplan GMAT instructor and I take the exam every year, and I can say that I have not noticed any changes over the past 5 years in either the quantitative or verbal section. No boldfaced CRs, no questions about combinatronics...On the quant side, lots of algebra and number properties.

The experimental section went well, but it was hard to focus after concentrating on the GMAT and AWA.
Do you get to see your score before the experimental section or do you have to wait until the end?

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 am
gmatlnv wrote:Hi

Surprised to hear that. I wrote the GMAT 2 weeks back and I got both the boldface CR and the combinatorics (infact 2) questions. I got a lot of DS in the Math sections. Should I then assume that I was in a medium bin cos I scored just 650 (Q49, V28)? Confusing....
U gave in India or China or wat??
:P

GMAT Instructor

by kevincanspain » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:33 pm
You don't see the score until the very end!
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sreerac » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:11 pm
I wrote 1 month back and got 1 bold faced question.