California gold rush

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

California gold rush

by paresh_patil » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 am
Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shoved.

A)because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for

B)because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of

C)owing of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of

D)since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for

E)since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of

Followed by:4 members

by neha24 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:58 am
we need reach of so eliminate A,and D
B isn't parallel
C is egregiously wrong coz of "Owing of"
hence E

by paresh_patil » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:17 am
Neha-
can you please explain the difference between B & E in detail?

Thank you!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:23 am
let me try to answer this

B :because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of

the problem with B is that the basic structure is wrong !!
think like this : u always say ---> because X ...blah blah blah ...verb
now look at B there is no verb in the sentence !! this is not acceptable

also there is one more angle to see this : B says : because of erosion ,something ...,something ...AND putting .there is no parallelism .even if i proceed reading this sentence further (thinking that i might get the verb later in the sentence ) i find that this is a horrible parallelism

so B is wrong
on the hand E is oki though i didnt find it as very good sentence !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:03 pm
what is the source of the question? because "reach of" isnt right. the right idiom could be reach to, reach for, reach toward, reach out.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

Followed by:4 members

by neha24 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:13 pm
@ paresh ,aditya has rightly explained .in fact he has added a nice point which i had missed
sana noor quote :what is the source of the question? because "reach of" isnt right. the right idiom could be reach to, reach for, reach toward, reach out.
where from u have learned that "reach of" is wrong coz that learning is definitely wrong as this is a prep question and questioning prep question is a total waste time.

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:47 pm
neha i learned from dictionary.com and i am surprised that this question is from gmatprep..
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)