Cézanne’s art---good question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

Cézanne’s art---good question

by atulmangal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:37 pm
Cézanne's art inspired the next generation of artists, twentieth-century modernist creators of abstract art. While most experts rank Cézanne as an early modernist, a small few reject this idea. Françoise Cachin, for example, bluntly states that such an ascription is "overplayed," and says that Cézanne's work is "too often observed from a modern point of view." Which one of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?

A. Cézanne's work is highly controversial.
B. Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art.
C. Cézanne's work helped to develop modernism.
D. Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many experts believe.
E. Cézanne's work tends to be misinterpreted as modernist.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:27 pm
IMO B.
Highly is too much.
Yeah can be. Why not. No where any one dispute that.
Humm... modern art and modernism are at least not the same. Definetly no.
Humm not convinced enough to put my bet here. Either they believe or some of them not, degree of owesness not supported very clearly.
Only a few think so.
atulmangal wrote:Cézanne's art inspired the next generation of artists, twentieth-century modernist creators of abstract art. While most experts rank Cézanne as an early modernist, a small few reject this idea. Françoise Cachin, for example, bluntly states that such an ascription is "overplayed," and says that Cézanne's work is "too often observed from a modern point of view." Which one of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:55 pm
I will go wth C.

Besides being too extreme, no were the passage mentions C's work is controversial. his modernist theory is challenged, thts it.
while the passage says he was a modernist creators of abstract art - this cant be interpreted as the early creators. he was just the modern ones
this supports the first lines of the para. C inspired 20th century modernist creators.now he inspired the creators, so they must have applied the theory to modernism which in turn helped to develop modernism. this may seem like taking it bit too far, but out of all options this is best.
no mention of this, infact contradicts the above
FC challeneges it by saying it is overplayed but not completely misinterpreted.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 pm
I was stuck btw B and C

what is modernism?? Skeptic about C but looks attractive
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 pm
The first sentence of the passage tells us that Cezanne inspired modernism. But the second sentence merely relates what experts think. If expert thinks "x", then it must be true that expert infers x but we cannot infer x itself.

If choice B were false however, would the first sentence of the passage survive?....if you judge not, then what does that mean about choice B?...
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:13 pm
Testluv wrote:The first sentence of the passage tells us that Cezanne inspired modernism. But the second sentence merely relates what experts think. If expert thinks "x", then it must be true that expert infers x but we cannot infer x itself.

If choice B were false however, would the first sentence of the passage survive?....if you judge not, then what does that mean about choice B?...
Testluv,
i think i get what you are pointing towards(or is it pointng at?) :D
first sentence only tells he was a modernist creator of abstract art, most experts think he is an early modernist. so this is not necessarily true. it can even be false. it cant be strongly supported by the passage.

thanks for this
If expert thinks "x", then it must be true that expert infers x but we cannot infer x itself.

GMAT Instructor

by Testluv » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:13 pm
rohu27 wrote:I will go wth C.

Besides being too extreme, no were the passage mentions C's work is controversial. his modernist theory is challenged, thts it.
while the passage says he was a modernist creators of abstract art - this cant be interpreted as the early creators. he was just the modern ones
this supports the first lines of the para. C inspired 20th century modernist creators.now he inspired the creators, so they must have applied the theory to modernism which in turn helped to develop modernism. this may seem like taking it bit too far, but out of all options this is best.
no mention of this, infact contradicts the above
FC challeneges it by saying it is overplayed but not completely misinterpreted.
Hi Rohu,

plese refer to the portion I have emboldened above. Note that we are looking for an answer choice that is supported by the passage above rather than an answer choice that supports the passage.

It is common to mix up inference with strengthen questions. Ask yourself: what is the direction of support? From the passage to the choices or from the choices to the passage? If it is from the passage to the choices, then it is inference. If it is from the choices to the passage, then it is strengthen.

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 pm
Testluv wrote:

Hi Rohu,

plese refer to the portion I have emboldened above. Note that we are looking for an answer choice that is supported by the passage above rather than an answer choice that supports the passage.

It is common to mix up inference with strengthen questions. Ask yourself: what is the direction of support? From the passage to the choices or from the choices to the passage? If it is from the passage to the choices, then it is inference. If it is from the choices to the passage, then it is strengthen.
Ah..thanks a ton. I guess i need to remind myself before each CR whether it is P -> C or C->P. il mark this. thanks once again.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:18 am
Testluv wrote:
Hi TestLuv ,please consider the following line.
Cézanne's art inspired the next generation of artists, twentieth-century modernist creators of abstract art.
The line says modernist creators of abstract art.
The line seems to imply that creators were already modernist before they were inspired by Cezanne's art .Doesnt this mean that the creators were inspired to apply the theory that they gathered from Cezannes works to Abstract Art.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sanabk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 pm
IMO: A

Answer should be a conclusion as the question is "Which one of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?"

Most experts rank Cez as an early modernist and few experts reject this idea. Yadda Yadda Yadda...

Best!!!

GMAT Instructor

by Testluv » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:21 pm
sanabk wrote:IMO: A

Answer should be a conclusion as the question is "Which one of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?"

Most experts rank Cez as an early modernist and few experts reject this idea. Yadda Yadda Yadda...

Best!!!
If MOST experts agree, would you call it HIGHLY controversial?...

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:37 pm
OA is C guys

GMAT Instructor

by Testluv » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:42 pm
In my post above, I meant to ask: what happens to the passage if choice C (NOT choice B!) were false?

You can use the Kaplan denial test in inference questions. Applied here:

If choice C were false--if Cezanne's work DIDN'T help to develop modernism--then can we still say that Cezanne's art inspired the next generation of artists?....Of course not. So, choice C can't be false without falsifying the first clause of the passage.

Hope that helps!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by TOPGMAT » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:36 am
Hi Testluv,
I am confused...
You said previously that "If choice B were false however, would the first sentence of the passage survive?....if you judge not, then what does that mean about choice B?..."

"c" inspired modernists who created "modern abstract arts" of 20th century
most experts consider "c" a modernist
some rejected it

Therefore we can reject B, since it is not strongly supported by this passage.

I liked your denial test method, and agree with the choice that C makes sense.
Therefore answer is :c
Never mind what others do; do better than yourself, beat your own record from day to day and you are a success - William Boetcker