Best Practice Tests?

This topic has expert replies

Which company makes the best GMAT practice tests (excluding GMATPrep)?

Princeton Review
11%
Kaplan
24%
Manhattan GMAT
60%
Veritas Prep
2%
Other? (Please let us know)
2%

Total votes: 2000

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:43 pm
680 is a great score - that's in the high 80s for percentile! Most people don't score anywhere near that well (by definition, actually - I'm not just saying that). Don't come down on yourself so hard! :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Kaplan

by wongee » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:36 pm
Mine is a total contradiction to what many have posted here regarding Kaplan tests. I actually took the Kaplan classes last year and was scoring 640 at a minimum, and my highest being 680. I did not touch the 700 mark although that was the score i was aiming for.

I tried not to think too much about the fact that people said to add approx. 50 -60 points to your kaplan score. Anyways, the point is if it is true that we shouldnt go by Kaplan, i sure shouldn't have, didn't know at that time. I failed miserably at the read Gmat, so bad that i couldn't believe it was me. it has taken me a while to come back to studying again, and it was clearly a day gone wrong the last time around.

I am trying to pick up the pieces and remove the wall i built around the gmat exam. it hasnt been easy....but i hope to persevere. Any help will be very very appreciated.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MNA.com paper tests.

by tandoor » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:43 pm
What do you guys think about the 9 mba.com paper tests. I was planning to do those in my last week. 2 weeks to go.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: MNA.com paper tests.

by beatthegmat » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:35 pm
tandoor wrote:What do you guys think about the 9 mba.com paper tests. I was planning to do those in my last week. 2 weeks to go.
Might be worthwhile practice, but it's not the same--these paper tests do not simulate the CAT nature of the GMAT...
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
prads1899 wrote:
beatthegmat wrote:Wow, so far Kaplan seems to be winning--not what I had expected...
People say that the powerprep tests are the closest simulation to the real gmat test....but the pracitse tests there have Q's taken direclty from OG....anyone who reads the OG can ans them v easily......
so just wanted to know if the practise tests of the powerprep are
good enuf.....pls reply
PowerPrep has been replaced by GMATPrep in 2006. There shouldn't be any overlap between GMATPrep and OG11 now...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sujitmgmat » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:11 am
I am preparing for the exam and I need to give several mock exams. I was going through the available resources for such exams. Does anyone have any information on the costs of these mock exams? How about Crack the GMAT? You get 5 exams for $20. For $40 you get 6 exams at Mahattan GMAT. GMATPrep comes with GMAT exam registration. Kaplan seems to be very expensive. 5 exams cost $600. Similarly at Princetonreview.com you need to spend $600 for 5 exams and $100 for 2.

Any suggestions as to which are the best in terms of representing real GMAT as well as are cost effective? For example, no one mentioned of Crack the GMAT. Is it because the exams are very easy and don't reflect the real GMAT?

Your inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:12 pm
sujitmgmat wrote:I am preparing for the exam and I need to give several mock exams. I was going through the available resources for such exams. Does anyone have any information on the costs of these mock exams? How about Crack the GMAT? You get 5 exams for $20. For $40 you get 6 exams at Mahattan GMAT. GMATPrep comes with GMAT exam registration. Kaplan seems to be very expensive. 5 exams cost $600. Similarly at Princetonreview.com you need to spend $600 for 5 exams and $100 for 2.

Any suggestions as to which are the best in terms of representing real GMAT as well as are cost effective? For example, no one mentioned of Crack the GMAT. Is it because the exams are very easy and don't reflect the real GMAT?

Your inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks
I think you are best served by GMATPrep, Manhattan GMAT, Kaplan, and Princeton Review - in that order.

I actually liked the PR tests, but they did feel a bit too easy.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Days » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:43 am
I'm using the GMAT Review by GMAC - I'm not sure if it goes by any other title here.

It's serving me quite well at the moment. Each section starts with fundamental questions and the difficulty level builds up as you work through the questions.

I've bought the Kaplan too, but the style of questions seems to differ a little from the GMAT Review. Since that the GMAT Review uses past year questions from GMAT tests, I'm using it as my main book for study, and then Kaplan if I need additional practice.

Like many in this forum, I'm pondering if the questions are reflective of the difficulty level in a real GMAT. All will be revealed in 2 weeks time!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:47 am
Questions in the OG (that's the Official Guide for GMAT Review) are representative of all of the questions in the database for the GMAT. People primarily see questions clustered around their own individual ability levels, however. So you won't see the full range of questions you see in the OG - mostly, your questions will be a little below to a little above your level.

This has the effect of making the test feel hard for EVERYone. Even the best testers won't have a bunch of easy (for them) questions (as they would on a static paper-and-pencil test).
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

GMAT Practice Tests

by II » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:37 pm
Hi All,
I have just started my preparation for the GMAT which I plan to take in Feb 08.
Firstly I am focussing on brushing up my knowledge on all the basics ... currently going through the "Cracking the GMAT" book by Kaplan.
My plan is to take a practice test to get an indication on the score I am likely to achieve as well as an idea of where my weakest points are, so that I can structure and plan my studies going forward.
My concern is around the various numbers of practice tests out there (Princeton, Kaplan, Manhattan, etc), and the same people taking tests from different providers, but getting very different scores.
It appears that the best indication is obtained from taking the GMATPrep test which has been created by GMAC using real questions from previous tests.
Is this correct ? Any thoughts on this.

I just want to avoid taking tests where the scores dont give an accurate indication of my scoring potential on the real GMAT.

Thanks in advance.
Best.
II

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:56 pm
It is absolutely the case that GMATPrep is the most like the actual test. Unfortunately, you only get two "clean" tests; after that, you can see questions you've already seen before. Overall, it's a good idea to take about 4-5 tests throughout your study period.

The official GMAT has a standard deviation of about 30 points. GMATPrep's standard deviation hasn't been published, but it is probably close to but not quite as good (the algorithm is the same, but the question pool is substantially smaller), so let's call that 40 points.

Our (ManhattanGMAT's) practice tests have a standard deviation of about 50 points - not as good as the real thing, obviously, but close. (This is calculated by gathering our students' results on the official test and matching those results to the students' results on their individual practice tests.) I'm not aware of any other companies that have posted standard deviations for their tests - you could check their web sites or call to see.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by heudorferk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:09 pm
II--
I think you raise an interesting point though: should GMAT test takers use a practice test as a diagnosis or a prognosis?

I posit that there's little value in trying to it as a prognosis (a forecast of your eventual outcome on the real GMAT). No forecast is going to be entirely accurate; even if it were, what good does that do you? If anything, it might tempt you to rest on your laurels or stress out unnecessarily. Presumably, if you're serious about the GMAT, you're going to spend as much time as possible preparin.

Instead, you should use your practice tests to diagnose the areas in which you need the most review. Use them to identify your strengths and weaknesses and plan your studying accordingly.

Good luck on the GMAT!
GMAT expert

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by mukul » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:24 pm
kaplan is best!! scores are lower...but who cares...the test is gud...i wud simply aim for an avg score of 650 on the tests!!

To see my score on kaplan follow my blog link!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:16 pm
mukul wrote:kaplan is best!! scores are lower...but who cares...the test is gud...i wud simply aim for an avg score of 650 on the tests!!

To see my score on kaplan follow my blog link!
so glad to see you back, Mukul! :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nadontheway » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:44 am
Hey Guys,

where can i get the free full practice test for Princeton and Power Prep? Can't find them.... :?