Best Practice Tests?

This topic has expert replies

Which company makes the best GMAT practice tests (excluding GMATPrep)?

Princeton Review
11%
Kaplan
24%
Manhattan GMAT
60%
Veritas Prep
2%
Other? (Please let us know)
2%

Total votes: 2000

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by iafmaverick » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:39 am
I meant to say that I already have GMATPrep and Kaplan tests. Should I go for MGMAT as well?

I have about 10 weeks for my GMAT date.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shiv » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:13 pm
if you are comfortable with your Quants practice and speed then i dont see the need for it. However if you feel the need for additional practice then go for it.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by iafmaverick » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37 pm
Thanks Shiv!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:03 am
Re: some questions about our stats on student results (of our tests), I asked our algorithm guy to address this. Here's what he said [with some additions from me for clarification purposes]:

"Our tests are calibrated so that the mean is equal to the expected GMAT mean—and so that regardless of ability, our test is an unbiased estimator of GMAT performance. Some do better, some do worse, but the expected difference is zero.

I review data about once every 2 months to ensure this – data from practice tests coupled with actual, reported GMAT scores. I do so on an overall score basis and a Verbal and Quant percentile basis. I occasionally tweak the scoring if we get evidence that the difference is far different from zero. Usually, the average difference is between +5 and -5 points on an OVERALL scoring basis.

On the standard error issue:

(1) The 50-point std deviation is a WITHIN-STUDENT st dev. In other words, if one student takes the test 100 times [without significant additional prep in between], the st deviation of his scores will be about 50 points.

The st dev across students is a different story and not relevant (it is about 100, just like the GMAT supposedly is).

(2) The 50-point std deviation is also the st dev of the DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MGMAT (latest practice test) scores and GMAT scores. Some call this a standard error, but effectively it’s the same. The STANDARD ERROR OF MEASUREMENT is mathematically equivalent to the STANDARD DEVIATION OF the error of measurement.

Those two numbers are not [exactly] equal, but both approximately 50."

Also just wanted to add - note that we calculate from the latest practice test to the official test. Most of our students take the last practice test within a week of the real test - so there isn't a significant amount of prep / improvement between the two tests.

We are, of course, comparing apples to oranges (that is, we're comparing two different tests), so that complicates things - but, even so, we can get some useful data.

GMATPrep is still the best general indicator because it is from the same people who make the official test (with all that that entails). The test prep company practice tests have the advantage, though, that you can get explanations and analysis of your performance - so there are good reasons to use both GMATPrep and test prep company practice tests.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by pepeprepa » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:43 pm
After some tests, I advise you MGMAT ones, they make you use your brain for quantitative :wink: ! And they are similar to Gmat prep for the verbal.
I do not advise you 800score test neither Veritas prep test.
Veritas prep has a quantitative based mostly on geometry (more than 30% of my questions) and the level is very low. For the verbal, I found the SC very different from what I studied in OG, and the CR were strange.

by Steve » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 am
This is a fantastic survey, and I wish I'd read it earlier - I only came across it two days before my test, so I discovered Manhattan GMAT a little late!

The only suggestion I could have is to break down the "other" category listed in the survey, I'm sure other people on this forum are also curious about what resources the "other" category refers to! :wink:

Re: Best Practice Tests?

by hututu1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:50 am
beatthegmat wrote:I'm very interested in seeing the public opinion...
Hi all, can someone guide me- where to find the Kaplan, Manhattan & Princeton full length tests from??? Better if u can suggest free download link!!

As many ppl on this thread say that they have taken these tests, can u forwad these tests to me on [email protected]

plz plz plz....thanks in advance

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:47 am
FYI - most companies allow you to take one test for free. We don't give everything away, though, because then we couldn't afford to keep making more good stuff! :)

As far as MGMAT is concerned, our tests are not available for download or distributed on CD; they can only be taken online. This allows us to continually update the test questions and make sure that you're getting the latest and greatest stuff every time you take a test. I'm not sure how other companies do it, but I think some do give a CD with the purchase of a book or something like that.

If you want to take a free test of ours, then you just need to go to our website and sign up .
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

MGMAT CAT

by visa1416 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:38 am
Hello Stacey,

I took the free MGMAT CAT available on the website today.Scored 600(Q45 V29).How does this test compare to the real GMAT.Also, is it equivalent to the 6 CATs available online for sale?

Today,while taking the CAT, I was experiencing some delay in between some of the questions.I had to refresh the page to get the next question attimes.What could be the reason for these interruptions? How do i avoid them in future?

I could generate assessment reports for the test.However, i could not see a menu to print the answer explanations to the questions individually.Is is possible to do so by any other means?

I didn't understand how was my score "600(Q45 V29)" calculated.Could you please explain me the method of calculation?

regards,
visa1416

PS:Although the post is addressed to stacey,anybody else's comments are more than welcome.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:16 pm
The scoring algorithm is extremely complicated - it's very tough to explain in just a few sentences. It's primarily based on the difficulty levels of the questions you answered correctly and incorrectly and the order in which you did so. Most people get around 50-60% of the questions right, regardless of scoring level, but everyone has different questions (at different difficulty levels) because the test is adapting to the scoring level you demonstrate as you answer questions.

Our test has a standard deviation of 50 points (compared to a standard deviation of about 30 points on the official test). So it is pretty good, but not as good as the real thing. GMATPrep is the closest test to the real thing and, as such, is the best indicator of your current scoring level.

The free test is built on the same scoring algorithm as the 6 CATs available for sale but does not use the same database of questions. (So the 6 CATs for sale use entirely different questions than the free tes.)

This is the busiest season for study right now, and the week-ends are the most likely times that students will take practice tests. If too many people at once all try to access whatever server is closest to you, that can cause some lag / slowness. Or, if you are very far physically from the server that is closest to you, that can also cause some lag / slowness. (The first explanation is most likely, this time of year.) If possible, you could try taking future tests on weekdays or at times that aren't "peak times" for practice tests.

I'm not quite sure how you can print the answer explanations - I've never tried to do that. I know my students have, though. I'll ask our IT department and get back to you.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by visa1416 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:31 pm
Appreciate your prompt and comprehensive reply.Many thanks.

Is the difficulty level of free CAT questions comparable to that of the questions on 6 CATs?

I still need to purchase the CATs online. I'll try taking a test on one of the weekdays as suggested by you.

I'll appreciate your feedback on printing of answer explanations.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:51 pm
Turns out there's not an easy way to print the answer explanations at once - basically, that's a mechanism to make it not so easy for someone to copy our stuff and just start distributing it around electronically. You can go through manually, though, and print any individual answer explanation that you want to print. If it's longer than the window and you're using some method that will show only what it actually sees on the screen, I suppose you could copy and paste to a word file to print.

The difficulty of the free CAT questions is comparable to the big pool, yes, BUT there aren't as many questions in the free CAT pool. So if you are scoring either very high or very low in a section, then you may see a broader range of difficulty levels of the questions you're offered than you would see on a regular test (eg, if you're scoring very high in quant, you may have some questions that are easier simply because you're using up a lot of the high level questions in certain content categories).

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

GMAT Score:710

by 3gmater » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:51 am
How are Vertias tests and Catprep.com tests?

I have exhausted MGMAT, Kaplan and Princeton (not to forget the mba.com tests)....during my previous attempts.

I am planning to buy 3 catprep.com tests, but I was wondering if someone could enlighten me about the quality of these tests....before I spend my time (and money) on these tests.

Thx!

-3G
My odds to success increase incredibly with each attempt.

by visa1416 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:24 am
Hello Stacey,
Many thanks for answering all my questions.I did get some easy questions as per your explanation.I purchased MGMAT test set(6 online CATs) last week.

Hello 3gmater,
I saw few comments on veritas tests in this post.do a quick "search" to find them.

by visa1416 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:26 am
Hello Stacey,

I scored 520 on one of the MGMAT cats last week.When i analysed the test , i came to know that i had lost lot of points due to silly mistakes and poor time management. I need to improve my verbal score by about 20 scaled points and my quant score by 10 scaled points. I will be taking one more test on saturday 11th oct and hopefuly i should score around 600 on it.

Iam aiming at more than 700 on the actual GMAT.I have scheduled my gmat on 23rd october.From your experience, Do you think I will be able to achieve it.I can devote 3 hours aday on working days and 6 hours aday on weekends.

I have realised that key to improving the score is thorough analysis of each and every problem from the previous exams as well as OG problems.I will be doing so.I havent finished doing the OG problems as yet.

Do you think i might need to reschedule the exam (I will then have to take a date in late december)? Will i have to give an explanation for rescheduling my exam in the application? how do adcoms view it?