beaten by gmat 640 !!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

beaten by gmat 640 !!

by wanttobeatthegmat111 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:30 am
hello.
i just returned from giving my gmat and i am very disappointed with myself.
i scored 640 (q43,v35)
the thing is i am not that bad at quant.in all of my practice test i have always scored above 48 and scored 50 couple times too.i know the basics..so i don't know what actually happened.maybe the pressure got to me.i really don't know.
so i am planning to give gmat again after 2 months or so.i would really like the experts to advice me how to approach quant and verbal too
what things should i do right to score 720+
i have been pretty good at SC,my accuracy would 80-90% where i lack is critical reasoning and reading comprehension.
as far as RC is concerned i can improve by practicing more and more passages.
what should i do for critical reasoning.
and please suggest me how to score 50 in quant too.
i really really and really want to beat the gmat.
Kindly help !

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by NB1234 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:30 pm
Dont worry about Critical Reasoning. YOu will get the right ones right. Work on RC. Thats an area where you can score an easy 100% since the answers are in front of you, all you need to know is to pick them up. Study various topics/articles, build up your reading stamina. With a solid RC and a good SC you will sail through verbal. CR is important but you dont need to focus too much on it. Of course you need to practice it as well but if you have to divide your extra time on concentration, give RC the largest share.

Also, do lots more practice questions. Spend 30 bucks to buy the additional question bank from the GMAT website. You can search for mine and other posts for retaking the test. Make sure that you give your best in these two months.

Good Luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:59 pm
Hi want....,

First off, a 640 is a solid score, so you shouldn't get too down on yourself. Since you've taken some practice CATs, could you list out your score breakdowns for each (Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

If your Official Score is lower than your practice scores, then another thing to consider is what was different about the practice CATs compared to the Official GMAT? Did you take the CATs at the same time as your GMAT? Did you ever skip any sections during the practice CATs? Did you do anything that was "unrealistic" during your CATs (such as listen to music, eat food, use pencil-and-paper, etc.)? Each of these differences can have a significant impact on your practice scores which makes those scores unrealistic.

The good news is that you're currently scoring at a solid level, so it shouldn't be too hard to make to necessary changes to break through to the next level. Your issue isn't just with the Verbal section though. With a Q43 though, you're going to have to put in some extra reps into Quant to solidify the Q48-Q50 that you were scoring during practice.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by wanttobeatthegmat111 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:28 am
thanks for the reply guys.
these were my scores.
gmat 1
sept 14-660 q48 v32
gmat 2
nov 4-680 q48 v 35
gmat 1 repeat
nov 17 700 q50 v 35
gmat 2 repeat
dec 22-730 q49 v 40
i was confident of scoring around 48 in quant but i really dont know what happened.i used to listen to music during my 8 min break after IR but i dont think this can be the reason for my downfall in quant.
and i never skipped any sections during my tests.in addition to this i gave my last two prep test at the same time as my gmat.
so now i have started doing quant from og10 and og 12.along with that i do 3-4 passages for RC and 15 questions for CR everyday.i try to prethink answers in CR..this technique is helping a lot..but lets see..My SC is pretty strong..i am targeting score of 720+ q48-49 v 38-40..do you think if i follow this plan for 1 month religiously..would i be able to score 720+
if not what should i do for quant and for RC & CR..what resources should i use..looking fwd to your reply.
thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:44 pm
Hi want...,

Your practice CAT scores provide some information that makes it a bit easier to evaluate your Official GMAT. Retaking a practice CAT will often lead to "repeat questions", which usually leads to an artificial, "inflated" score/result. This means that we have to ignore your last 2 CAT scores and work with the data provided by the first 2 only. To that end, your Offiical Score is right in line with your practice scores (albeit at the low end of the realistic range).

Your study plan sounds fine, in terms of practicing content, but it's "book heavy"...which is also unrealistic. Taking the GMAT on a computer adds a significant physical element to the process that cannot be matched by book-work. You might consider investing in some computer-based resources, as well as a few more "new" CATs, so that you can continue to study in a Test-like manner.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]