Beat up today-540

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Beat up today-540

by jthomassmith23 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:29 pm
I sat for the GMAT today and got an unexpected 540. What was so unexpected was the distribution. 40V and 25Q. I have never scored this low on the quant section or this high on verbal. I am perplexed. I am usually around 38Q and 36V.

Does anyone know a name of a good quant tutor? I am absolutely getting beat up mentally with quant. If not, can anyone share their study methods because mine must be pretty lousy. I need to turn the corner. My lopsided score today is pretty worthless. I have tried Manhattan GMAT but its obviously not doing the trick. Need Help.

J
JTS

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:18 pm
DUDE

the wierdest thing has happened. i scored a 560 today, and my distribution was also super-wierd. i got a 30 in Verbal, when I usually score in the 40s in the GPrep. What's wierd is that I thought the Verbal was harder than the practice material. I was shocked to see the score and distribution as I consistently scored close to 650 on my Gpreps.

Eric/Ian, do you guys think there is a connection? I took the test in Indianapolis. I'm planning to not think about it until tomorrow and then hit the books again.

Legendary Member

by niraj_a » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:46 am
what? no one wants to read a low-scorer's post eh?

any advice for me people?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by khurram » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:54 am
620 last week, v 39, q 36, before the practice was the other way around.

I think V is easier if you have a foreign passport. Maths much harder than OG. I knew that but too much practice and not enoug time to absorb.

Am getting a private tutor to help me hit 600.

KL

Legendary Member

by niraj_a » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:46 pm
interesting observation khurram, coz i did show them my Indian passport and I found Verbal to be fairly challenging so my score was totally surprising to me. What's wierd is that I know I am weak in Math and I found the first 5 questions doable.

i seriously feel there has been a glitch in the test for the past two weeks. there's no way to argue that with GMAC though I guess...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by 3gmater » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:28 pm
Folks:

I have a Indian Passport too, but Verbal has been my nemesis.
Never in my practice tests, I have scored below 33 in Verbal. My Avg was around 39-40, with 40+ scores on several occasions.
My V score after the 1st attempt was 18 and after the 2nd attempt was 25 - What a shame?
(Math was 48 after both attempts)

Is there a flaw in the system? (one that is delibrately introduced)

I dont want to think much about the past (it could have been an algorithm error or maybe I was out of my senses on both days...."but how can this happen on two diff. days....5 months apart?" ) :)

Currently I am scoring in the mid 30's to lower 40's on PR, Higher 30's - 40's on MGMAT.

I am trying again to realise my full-potential and see the elusive 7xx score, that was quite common during the Gprep practice tests!

Good Luck Folks.

-3G

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bbuisson » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:06 pm
my exerpeicne has been that the quant is waaay harder than the OG or Gprep...I thought I did well on Q and got my worst score yet! Very frustrating...I also don't understand how the raw score translates to the overall...I've seen the same raw scores result in different overall scores, which does not make sense to me