assumption!!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

assumption!!

by clueless_me » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am
Spokesperson: The major school lunch vendors recently agreed to stop selling high-calorie beverages in elementary and middle schools because studies show that children of ages 7 to 8 who substitute one low-calorie beverage for one high-calorie soft drink in their daily diets will, on average, weigh 20 pounds less than they would have by the time they reach high school. Since only low-calorie beverages will be sold in schools, within six to eight years, we can expect to see a reduction in the percentage of overweight high-school children.

The spokesperson assumes which of the following to be true?
A All low-calorie beverages are better for children than any high-calorie beverages.
B Elementary and middle school students who used to buy high-calorie soft drinks at school will not bring them to school or drink extra high-calorie beverages at home as a substitute.
C The companies will resume selling high-calorie beverages to schools in eight years.
D Those children whose parents are concerned about healthy weight maintenance already limit their children's consumption of soft drinks.
E Many schools depend on the extra revenue generated by sales of high-calorie drinks.

CORRECT ANS IS B

but i dont get is why D is wrng, it can assume that children will not get drink from other source (parents in this case), what if their parent wont limit those children cusumption???

Pls explain,n yeah source is Manhattan!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by clueless_me » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:13 pm
any1??? i have exam in another 36 hrs.....
Last edited by clueless_me on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Dangerous Dude » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:13 pm
Always remember.. Negation of assumption always weekens the conclusion..... If it dosn't it is not the assumption

Conclusion: Since only low-calorie beverages will be sold in schools, within six to eight years, we can expect to see a reduction in the percentage of overweight high-school children.

Negation of B:Elementary and middle school students who used to have high calories.. will have high calorie at home...

That means the rule made by school has no effect on students.. instead of having at school they will have at home.. Hence weight loss wont happen... Conclusion is weekend

D is restrictive to. those childrens whose parents are concerned about health weight... Not to the one who drink high calorie drinks.. It dosn't fit into the frame of what is asked...

Thats the take from me..