Ask for interpretation

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Ask for interpretation

by RayChan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:00 pm
Can someone help me interpret the question in the attachment? In the original sentence, I think the meaning of not unlike is kind of replicated. So I just chose answer D. But the correct one is B. I m curious.
Attachments
timu.PNG
Question picture

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:02 am
RayChan wrote:Can someone help me interpret the question in the attachment? In the original sentence, I think the meaning of not unlike is kind of replicated. So I just chose answer D. But the correct one is B. I m curious.
This question has a slight twist in that it incorporates the expression not unlike into the correct answer choice. Some test takers may be uncomfortable with that expression and so they may gravitate toward another answer choice in order to avoid not unlike.

The truth is that the expression not unlike is completely acceptable, and while I can see how initially you may find it to somehow use words redundantly, not unlike is commonly used to express something that is subtly different from what is conveyed by like.

So while maybe like and not unlike have very slightly different meanings, either one is fine, and so the use of one or the other does not render an answer choice wrong.

Even if you felt that like is probably better than not unlike, answer choice D has a clearer issue in that the use of for refusing creates a sentence that does not make sense. His courage was like that of Rosa Parks for refusing to move? What does that mean? Her courage was for refusing?

Were you sure that not unlike was clearly wrong? or were you just suspicious?

Here's one thing I recommend. Given that GMAT SC questions can contain false decision points like this one, and given that there will be other times that you will see difference between choices and not be sure which version is better, when you are not sure of a decision point, look for another, tighter, decision point. Usually, you will be able to find one.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.