Applying to only one school - Quick ? about Admission Essay

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

First of all, I would like to say thank you - a big THANK YOU - to everyone participating and contributing to this forum. I just took the GMAT and got a score of 640 (Q45, V34) - not spectacular in any way, but having in mind that I only had a month to prepare (a very difficult month, due to some personal issues) I consider it a decent score. This would not have been possible without beatthegmat and everyone involved in making this website the only destination worth visiting during one's preparation for the test.

I would like to kindly ask you for advice on whether I should mention in an application essay that the school in question is my only choice?
Here is some background:

Currently, I am considering applying to only one school - Concordia's John Molson School of Business in Montreal. I am interested in their MSc in Business Admin - Marketing. I know that most of you are interested in MBAs, however if anyone has any feedback on JMSB, please share your opinions.
I am not considering an MBA for several reasons - I do not have enough work experience to get me in a decent program and I would like a graduate degree that is distinctly focused on marketing. Thus, a MSc seems to be the right choice. That said, JMSB is my only choice at this point because I really wanted to focus all my energy on making this application right. I really like the curriculum, the location of the school, and the research interests of the faculty etc. - everything about the school seems to be the right fit.
The min GMAT there is 550, the average is 610, therefore I do not plan to retake the GMAT at this point, unless I decide to apply to other schools in the future. I was hoping for a higher score on the test to boost my application, since a score of 640 is not to far from the average, however I have to go with what I got. With such a modest GMAT, the application essay is more important than ever (not a newsflash, I know:)
The school requires a 500 word Statement of Purpose. I was wondering if it would be to my benefit to somehow mention that JMSB is my only choice? If yes, is there a preferred, subtle way to do that? I do not want to appear desperate (with no other options) or to leave the wrong impression that I'm "sucking up" to the admissions by saying that JMSB is the only school I want to go to. The truth is that I really want to pursue my grad degree there. Any words of advice would be highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom :)!! Cheers!

Alex

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:1 members

by Brett N » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:46 am
Definitely include that it is your top and only choice but make sure to back up your reasons for only applying to one school so as to sound sincere.
Please free to contact me at [email protected] or through our
profile evaluation form.

Ivy App Success