an old CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

an old CR

by diebeatsthegmat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:28 am
A small marketing consortium wanted to get more young people to take up chess. Since chess is most enjoyable when two people of equal ability play one another, the group believed that few people play chess becauseit is so hard to finda suitable opponent.

Which of the following statements would most seriously undermine the consotium's viewpoint?

A. On average, a set of chess pieces costs much more than most other board games.
B. The chess industry received a lot of favourable publicity last year when a computer defeated the world chess chempion for the first time.
C. Tennis is most enjoyable when two equally mathed opponents play each other, and the number of young tennis players has risen steadily.
D. Playing chess help children develop analytical minds and learn to devise strategies to acheive long-term goals.
E. More than 50000 chess sets were sold last year.
dunno why i am not as good at CR as i was before... i read a CR and i understand it but i always choose wrong answer and the situation happened the same when i resolve old CRs which i have read and done before.... hmhm how sad! [/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:49 am
C is correct

as chess is enjoyable when 2 strong players play
consortium says as people dont find their strong opponent means people interested in playing chess will reduce.

now come to C

tennis is most enjoyable when two equally mathed opponents play each other.
if the consortium's view is true then number of people interested in playing tennis should reduce, but it says the number of young tennis players has risen steadily means consortium 's view is not correct means it it would most seriously undermined.

hope it clear now

A- out of scope
B- good but here champion and computer is involved not 2 human players
D-outcome of playing chess so it desnt related with view point
E-irrelevant

so left C
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Legendary Member

by goyalsau » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:48 am
I able to get the C in less than a minute and then i suppose to pause the clock, i thought
How it is possible that i can solve a CR question in less than a minute and again i went to the question and spend half a minute more and thought A is right.
How smart i am... :lol:

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:05 am
goyalsau wrote:I able to get the C in less than a minute and then i suppose to pause the clock, i thought
How it is possible that i can solve a CR question in less than a minute and again i went to the question and spend half a minute more and thought A is right.
How smart i am... :lol:

yeah you are stunning! lol