Ailing Mobster ..

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Ailing Mobster ..

by saurabh_maths » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:51 am
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted.

A. the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The Godfather" and near to those he
most trusted
B. famous because of "The Godfather," the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most
trusted
C the ailing mobster, famous because of "The Godfather," came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he
most trusted
D. near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The
Godfather"
E. Corleone, famous because of "The Godfather," was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it
was near to those he most trusted

OA .. after some time

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:31 am
Looks like E to me.

A is missing a crucial comma. Also, the And seems to make two things in parallel. But I cant spot two things.
B. The top prosecutor is not famous because of the Godfather.
C. The ailing monster is not famous because of the Godfather.
D. the prosecutor is not near to those he most trusted.

So I go for E. Even though E seems to be changing the focus of the sentence to the town, it fits in here.

I may well be wrong :D
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by saurabh_maths » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:39 am
E is not the OA ....

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Bakhtior » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:12 am
IMO C
How is OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:17 am
saurabh_maths wrote:According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted.

A. the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The Godfather" and near to those he
most trusted
B. famous because of "The Godfather," the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most
trusted
C the ailing mobster, famous because of "The Godfather," came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he
most trusted
D. near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The
Godfather"
E. Corleone, famous because of "The Godfather," was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it

OA .. after some time
IMO op A is the correct choice...B,D,E has modifier errors...the second sentence should start with "the ailing mobster .."
secondly, its the town which is famous because of "the godfather" not the mobster...so C is out hence A correct choice

by saurabh_maths » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:32 pm
atul.... ya the OA is A.

Now can you tell me why cant 'famous because of Godfather' modifies the 'ailing mobster' ??

I fell for this and chose C which went wrong ....

But my point is ... there is a possibility that mobster could be famous due to godfather..... i mean godfather could be a movie or novel ... etc anything... which could have made the mobster famous ...

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:51 pm
saurabh_maths wrote:atul.... ya the OA is A.

Now can you tell me why cant 'famous because of Godfather' modifies the 'ailing mobster' ??

I fell for this and chose C which went wrong ....

But my point is ... there is a possibility that mobster could be famous due to godfather..... i mean godfather could be a movie or novel ... etc anything... which could have made the mobster famous ...
Hi saurabh...take a look at the word "The Godfather"...its a word separately mentioned in quotes...try to look in the logical meaning...its not been written that the "ailing mobster" is known as "The Godfather" or He is famous as he worked in the movie "The godfather"....the sentence in op C "the ailing mobster, famous because of "The Godfather,"" doesn't clarify the meaning...its a clear meaning clarity question...u can't assume things...a town can be famous because of someone's name but a person will become famous from a name if he is the same person or he worked in something related to that name...any of these 2 cases are not written in the sentence...thats y op A

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 am
Sadly, this one depends on knowing that "The Godfather" is a work of fiction, so an ailing mobster could not be famous because of it.

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:43 pm
Jim@Grockit wrote:Sadly, this one depends on knowing that "The Godfather" is a work of fiction, so an ailing mobster could not be famous because of it.
Haha, true Jim, you are absolutely correct, but i think i have seen this question in OG, although i'm sure...
can u pls tell, GMAT asks such questions which require prior knowledge of something like this..???

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:34 pm
choice E is a total disaster here :(
two reasons against selecting choice E are
1) A subject of the sentence is NOT city but mobster, by accentuating on Corleone, we speak about the city - Corleone, famous because of "The Godfather," was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it was near to those he most trusted
2) Pronoun error - pronoun he, because it was near to those he most trusted - could refer both to mobster and "God Father" even if it is fiction, still some haze persists
saurabh_maths wrote:According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted.

most trusted
trusted
most trusted
Godfather"

OA .. after some time
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:21 pm
Aaarggghhh!
I really need to dust and get my SC books out. :(

Thanks for the explanation.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)