Admitted - Univ. of Maryland-Smith Business School

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I am happy to report that i have been accepted at Univ.of Maryland-Smith Business School Part Time MBA program. I applied at UMD and George Mason and both school's placed me on waitlist because of my low gmat score -530.

Although my score was low but my other application components were strong. I spend 3 weeks on essays and asked my department's VP and Manager for strong recommendations. Another plus point for me is that i already have a MS in Computer Engg. from a US School.

After doing some research and reading Stacy Blackman's tips for waitlisted candidates ,I wrote an additional essay for UMD admission committee about my experience and elaborated on why they should consider me for their business school. I was more interested in UMD because of their Global and Local Rankings in US News, Financial Times, and Business Week were pretty strong.

I went to the school in person and met a representative who suggested that besides an additional essays, i need to retake the GMAT to improve my admission chances but i decided against it. I had the feeling that my additional essay is really strong. By going in person, i wanted to show them my interest in their Business School and i think i accomplished that goal.

I also contacted George Mason and told them about my admission at UMD and the very next day, i received a 'Denied' letter from them. Probably, they got offended although they are no where near UMD's rankings.

Anyone else joing UMD this Fall? I would advice everyone that even with low gmat you can get into a top school if you plan well and spend time on your essays and recommendations.

Goodluck all.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
osamakhan wrote:I am happy to report that i have been accepted at Univ.of Maryland-Smith Business School Part Time MBA program. I applied at UMD and George Mason and both school's placed me on waitlist because of my low gmat score -530.

Although my score was low but my other application components were strong. I spend 3 weeks on essays and asked my department's VP and Manager for strong recommendations. Another plus point for me is that i already have a MS in Computer Engg. from a US School.

After doing some research and reading Stacy Blackman's tips for waitlisted candidates ,I wrote an additional essay for UMD admission committee about my experience and elaborated on why they should consider me for their business school. I was more interested in UMD because of their Global and Local Rankings in US News, Financial Times, and Business Week were pretty strong.

I went to the school in person and met a representative who suggested that besides an additional essays, i need to retake the GMAT to improve my admission chances but i decided against it. I had the feeling that my additional essay is really strong. By going in person, i wanted to show them my interest in their Business School and i think i accomplished that goal.

I also contacted George Mason and told them about my admission at UMD and the very next day, i received a 'Denied' letter from them. Probably, they got offended although they are no where near UMD's rankings.

Anyone else joing UMD this Fall? I would advice everyone that even with low gmat you can get into a top school if you plan well and spend time on your essays and recommendations.

Goodluck all.
Dear Osama:
Do you live near Silver Spring?