00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A study done on children under the age of twelve showed that 15 percent of them experienced night terrors but for children whose parents had also experienced such terrors in childhood it was more likely that they would perceive their behavior as fundamentally different from their peers.

(A) for children whose parents had also experienced such terrors in childhood it was more likely that they would perceive their behavior as fundamentally different from their peers
(B) for children whose parents also experienced such terrors in childhood, they were more likely than other children prone to night terrors to perceive their behavior as fundamentally different from their peers'
(C) when children had parents who had also experienced such terrors in childhood it was more likely for them to be perceiving their behavior as different from that of their peers'
(D) that children whose parents had also experienced such terrors in childhood were more likely than other children prone to night terrors to perceive their behavior as fundamentally different from their peers'
(E) that when children had parents who had also experienced such terrors in childhood they were more likely to be perceiving behavior that differed from their peers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon May 21, 2018 4:12 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorDC wrote:A study done on children under the age of twelve showed that 15 percent of them experienced night terrors but for children whose parents had also experienced such terrors in childhood it was more likely that they would perceive their behavior as fundamentally different from their peers.

(A) for children whose parents had also experienced such terrors in childhood it was more likely that they would perceive their behavior as fundamentally different from their peers
(B) for children whose parents also experienced such terrors in childhood, they were more likely than other children prone to night terrors to perceive their behavior as fundamentally different from their peers'
(C) when children had parents who had also experienced such terrors in childhood it was more likely for them to be perceiving their behavior as different from that of their peers'
(D) that children whose parents had also experienced such terrors in childhood were more likely than other children prone to night terrors to perceive their behavior as fundamentally different from their peers'
(E) that when children had parents who had also experienced such terrors in childhood they were more likely to be perceiving behavior that differed from their peers
The intention here is to convey the following:
The study showed THAT X IS TRUE but THAT Y IS TRUE.
For the intended meaning to be conveyed clearly, the second that is required.

A and B: The study...showed that....but for
C: The study showed that...but when
These options do not include the required second that.
Eliminate A, B and C.

E: behavior that differed from their peers
Here, behavior is illogically compared to peers.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3